• Locos dragging rail

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by lexon

I stopped by a friends hot dog stand that is at a rail crossing just West of the CSX yard in West Springfield, MA. A couple days ago he saw two CSX locos dragging a section of rail that was 1100 feet long. The dragging rail was followed by a Hi Rail truck. I saw the gouges in the street crossing. He did not have a camera to take any pictures.
Anyone ever seen anything like this? He plans to ask a CSX employee the next time one stops at his stand. We figure some rail work was being done, probably at the new bridge over Rt 202 in Westfield MA which is a few miles away.
This fellow belongs to out local club and we are trying to figure out how to equip his hot dog stand with a cam with microphone and laptop to easily take videos. Sometimes a train comes by when he is taking care of customers.

Rich
  by EMTRailfan

I have never seen this in person, but I have seen photos before. The hi rail was probably following for damage assessment or to make sure that the rail didn't flop outside of the gauge and become a whip.
  by Arrestmespi

pretty standard expect generally doneby using a burro crane to drag the rail. At least on the old chessie systems that how we get her done.
dangerous work, you have to be careful CWR has a lot of kinetic energy and moves even after resting in strange ways.
Hi rail truck was for protecting crossing and to make sure the rail didn't be come the whip of god as previously mentiioned
  by shlustig

Nothing really new about this.

We had an occasion many years ago on the NYC's Toledo (East) Division where some strings of welded rail were dropped about 7 miles from the designated point. They were towed with a locomotive -- one string at a time -- to the proper location. Every public and private crossing was protected by either local law enforcement (paid for by the NYC) or by railroad personnel. When towed, the rail vibrations sounded like a mill in progress. No trains were allowed on the adjacent track during the pull.