• Locomotive 39 Boiler Lift Pictures ( Dial Up Beware! )

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by BEDT16RMLI

cool
mike

by RPM2Night

When do they estimate that #39 will be ready to operate again, come back to life?? This is a day that I don't want to miss! Thanks in advance.

I know this has probably been mentioned. Unfortunately I don't get to check the internet as much anymore.

by jayrmli

The K4 was supposed to be running years ago. Still in pieces at Steamtown.

The problem with predicting the completion of a restoration is that you never really know the extent of the repair until the boiler is opened up and you see how much steel needs to be replaced.

Using the K4 for an example, the steel was so thin in the backhead area of the boiler, that a whole new one had to be recast and installed. This set the program back quite aways, both in time and dollars.

Jay

by belpaire

I very much hope there is no comparison to the restoration of 39 and the 1361. The sad and costly story of the 1361 goes much deeper than not knowing the extent of what was needed from the outset. A simple and quick UT test showed what work was needed to the backhead from the beginning. This in fact being one of the first major projects of this restoration. Not to nit pick but the backhead was formed by heating and beating sheet steel, certainly not by casting. The cracks in the boiler shell around the dome rivets were a surprise but were still a drop in the bucket compared with the real issues involved in why it has taken so long. Reality is that administrative issues are the cause of the delays there. As long as the real lessons of the 1361 are learned from, the restoration of 39 should be a much quicker process.

Roger
jayrmli wrote:The K4 was supposed to be running years ago. Still in pieces at Steamtown.

The problem with predicting the completion of a restoration is that you never really know the extent of the repair until the boiler is opened up and you see how much steel needs to be replaced.

Using the K4 for an example, the steel was so thin in the backhead area of the boiler, that a whole new one had to be recast and installed. This set the program back quite aways, both in time and dollars.

Jay

by Nasadowsk

Heh, note the remnants of the Mineola - Hempstead connector in the old pic.

Wow, I didn't realize anyone got color pics of steam. Well, KodaChrome *did* date to the 1930's (and if preserved right, will last 100years with little color loss).

Did seam ever run on the Babylon line into the grade crossing elimanation era?

by Dave Keller

First, there a quite a few color shots of steam. Art Huneke's been listing them on e-bay as well as having a bunch on his site. Many were shot by himself and others by the late Bill Rugen.

Second, steam DID run on the "Babylon" branch (I use quotations as we're really referring to the electrified portion of the Montauk branch; there technically is NO Babylon branch per se) up till the end of steam. Remember, the stations along that branch started getting grade eliminations as early as the 1930s (such as Lynbrook and Valley Stream, which, while not stops on the Montauk branch WERE located along it). Other stops got it in the 1950s such as RVC, Baldwin, Freeport, and Massapequa. Babylon itself was later (1963-64), while the rest went up in the late 1960s-early-'70s.

Occasionally, Montauk trains pulled by steam were run along there when they didn't use the Central branch between Hicksville and Babylon for whatever reason.

Also, freight was pulled along the south shore by steam as well as DD1 electrics.

DD1s were out of service in the early 1950s and 3rd rail on the sidings was removed around 1952-53, leaving it up to steam and the early diesels.

My upcoming sequel LIRR book, "Revisiting The Long Island Rail Road: 1925-1975" has a shot of an H10s pulling a freight through Lynbrook in 1936 (and a DD1 with N52A caboose at the Babylon freight house the same year!).

Dave Keller

by Long Island 7285

I seen that shot of the H10 in Lynbrook in my callender. thats a great color shot, and it also shoes the signals when they existed on the now rusting away signal bridg.

BTW. what was the signals on that signal bridg for? what was the reason for a signal then but its not neded any more?

by Dave Keller

The Lynbrook shot of which I speak is NOT the one you saw in the calendar. Mine is a black and white shot and, as far as I know, never before published anywhere (one of the features for which I strive in my books!).

Signals are removed for many reasons: They can be relocated in one direction or another. Tracks for which they are designated are no longer in use. Temporary tracks are placed in service and have new signals to control their use. An interlocking is rebuilt and the signals repositioned, etc., etc., etc. (as Yul Brynner said in "The King and I.")

There can be any number of reasons why a signal can be there for a time and then removed. In the image below at the junction of the Main Line with the Belmont Park Race Track spur, we have such a situation:

The shot was taken in 1968. The near bridge is void of signals and had been since 1957 (!!!) when the far bridge was placed in service with position lights, replacing the near bridge which had semaphore-arm signals. This view is eastward. The brick building is a circuit breaker house.

Dave Keller

by Nasadowsk

I guess I just haven't seen many before. One nice thing about those shots is some were well preserved - little color drift. Kodachrome is great like that, but it did have disadvantages, noteably it was slow back then and developing it at home is virtually impossible. Of course, Ektachrome, etc could be, but the dyes fade and shft...

by Long Island 7285

Dave thanks for the clarification.

by RRChef

If I remember correctly, several of Ron Ziel's later books contain color photos, specifcally Victorian Stations and Pennsy Era on LI. Can't check as they are packed away due to some home remodeling.

by Dave Keller

Yes . . . Both those books have color steam shots.

The "Victorian Stations" book has a terrific color shot on the front dust jacket from a slide taken by Bob Emery of an H10s approaching the old wooden Southold depot, lit up by the afternoon sun!!!!

Great stuff.

Dave Keller