• Location of the 3247

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by CSX Conductor

Took a drive over to B.E.T. this afternoon, and did not see the #3247 anywhere. (Only checked the north side). Perhaps it was inside, or on the west side of the building.. Anybody seen it over the last few days?

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

someone said it needed repairs done to it, do it was inside BET a couple days ago

by CSX Conductor

Yes Matt, thanks. I spoke with one of my friends on MBCR and he told me it was there for traction motor repairs. :wink:

by CRail

nice equipment eh? Not even put in service and its in for traction motor repairs?!? NICE!

by octr202

Quick! Someone check GRS's records and see if it was making turns across Maine while it was up there! Sure seemed to be in the shop a long time just for paint... :wink:

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

hahaha, they were probably using it for local freights :wink:

by ST214

All i know is i hope that the paint lasts longer than Guilford's own units. I saw one today that was painted this summer, and the paint is already peeling off. Paint is missing.

by MEC407

ST214 wrote:All i know is i hope that the paint lasts longer than Guilford's own units. I saw one today that was painted this summer, and the paint is already peeling off. Paint is missing.
Depends on whether they sandblasted and primed before painting, or just painted over the old paint.

Assuming that GRS sandblasted the 3247 and then primed it before applying the new paint, it should last for a very long time.

Do you happen to remember which Guilford unit you saw with peeling paint?

by ST214

Can't tell you, as it was missing #'s too. All i know was it was one of the 370's.

by MEC407

ST214 wrote:Can't tell you, as it was missing #'s too. All i know was it was one of the 370's.
In that case, they probably just painted over the old NS paint (which had already been partially painted over with the Guilford orange stripe)... which would explain the premature peeling.

Some of the Guilford repaints done by D&H's Oneonta shop in the '80s were pretty horrible. The orange stripe turned pink within a year or two!

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

according to NETransit, 3247 is back in service

by hebron_hapt

I got very close to this unit (literally - I was touching it, checking out the paint job) while it was parked at Fairgrounds. it was a very well done paint job. Interesting that the numbers under the left side window aren't together - some protrusion keeps the last digit to the right of the first three.
  by GP40MC1118

The 3247 is still inside BET as of this afternoon second track in from the
parking lot. It's being worked on. The purple appears to be a little lighter
than the other units, but it looks pretty good.

CSX Conductor: The layover start system is by the same company
CSX uses - Ecotrans K9 -APU (according to the decal).

Dave

by CSX Conductor

That's why it looked like the same one that is on some of our locomotives I guess.

Thanks Dave.

by CRail

how much longer before it starts rescuing south side geeps and streches?