Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Frank

DutchRailnut wrote:yes the yaw damper, almost all MNCR cars came factory equipped , the later LIRR cars did too, but the first 100 or so LIRR cars are being modified with the yawdampers at LIRR during modifications.
the Yaw dampers stop the rolling motion of carbody caused by truck hunting.
What's truck hunting?

by DutchRailnut

truck hunting is were the truck kind of zigzag's down track due to uneven loading or because of wheels. the yaw dampers prevent the truck from doing that.

by Stephen B. Carey

I recently was able to get on to an M-7, for the first time, granted I was waiting for my New Haven Line train and I was only on for about 3 seconds or so. I found the cars to be very clean and well lit, and acctually have the same styling as the other newer cars I've ridden recently, namely Acela and the Amtrak California Cars.
Well anyway I remember reading that Metro North tests the cars for about 1000 miles before putting them into revenue service, but now that delivery is fully underway how long does a car sit, on average after being delivered before being put into service? Are the cars still tested as much now that the railroad is familiar with them, or do they just go into service after a couple of days?

by DutchRailnut

MNCR runs every set of cars thru 1000 mile acceptance.
as soon as 6 cars are ready the test train runs up and down all night for a week.
The cars are switched around a few times in Tarrytown to make other cars the leader, so we know everything works as per contract.

by Silverliner II

Wow, I asked this same question somewhere recently....I should have just come here first.....

I didn't realize there were THAT many little differences in what I thought would be identical railcars (cab signal/ATC and third rail differences aside).