Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by newkirk

Saw two of them parked on a track outside Hillside Facility. Both cars were M-1's, One car had a blue stripe, the other has no stripe. There are vents where the operating cab once was.

Do both cars travel in the same consist or separate consists ?
Also, anyone know what their old numbers were ?

by DutchRailnut

See thread below about alcohol train, one car is Alcohol train the other is the Sandite train. one is used for deicing the thikrd rail, other used for sandite a toothpast like substance used to improve rail adheasion.
they are not used at same time.

by IslesFan

Does anyone know when those m1's were "retired" and turned in to the alcohol and sandite train and stuff? Also, is there a paritcular reason why those two m1 cars were chosen?

by jayrmli

Just a clarification...

Both cars are equipped to be both a sandite car during leaf season and an alcohol car during winter. They both operate independently of each other and are sandwiched between two diesels.

The M1s were chosen because they were the last cars to be retired, so they're in the best shape. Two P72s were used for sandite before this, but they were retired in favor of the M1s.

Jay

by Nasadowsk

Ahhh. I read 'adhesion' and think 'glue' :)

Anyone ever hear about that old prank of thermite welding a trolley to it's tracks? :)

by emfinite

What about the W-85 that's in the east end of Ronkonkoma Yard? Wasn't that used as the alcohol/sandite car before the M-1s?

by John 61

Here's a photo I have of W-86 in Morris Park. Note the discharge chutes

by tushykushy

Nice shot there John. Looks like a mobster coach.

by jayrmli

W-85 was only an alcohol car. It never sprayed sandite.

Jay

by John 61

Here's a photo from Nov.14, 2004 at 11pm.of the "Leaf Crusher" "Stone Train" "RF Extra". It's been called all of these names. Stored during the day on the Central branch it has been usually going out to Port Jefferson nightly then back to Hicksville , back down the Central Branch and out to PD and return. Train has 6 loaded LIRR ballast hoppers and an MP-15 on either end

.Image

by emfinite

Here is the "stone train" as Divide likes to call it laid up on Wellwood Team last week:

by tushykushy

I don't see really how the leaf crusher produces little if any results. I mean, doesn't it just flatten the leaves onto the rail?

Even though I do like watching some action, I do think having the leaf crushing job is a complete waste of money. I know there are worse cases out there but having them sit idling for 90% of the day then smush leaves at night....

by mkm4

tushykushy wrote:I don't see really how the leaf crusher produces little if any results. I mean, doesn't it just flatten the leaves onto the rail?
The idea is that the train is so heavy that the leaves and their residue get smushed off the tracks. For an example, take some clay, put it on a table and smash it with your fist. Notice how the clay moves out to the sides. Now, imagine doing that with the Leaf Crusher train, nothing would remain on the track.

by tushykushy

Oh I know the whole principal behind it, just if they actually see if it really does anything in reality. I know some would argue of it's effectiveness.

by John 61

I know that the LIRR has used the leaf crusher in years past but is this the first year they have run on the Port Jefferson branch on a nightly basis?