• LIRR gons passing through Syracuse, NY 7/19

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by fglk

I spoted 4 bright red Long Island Rail Road Gondolas with yellow lettering on them passing thew Syracuse in an East bound train. All looked to be brand new cars as far as I could see they were spotless. I have seen small batches of these LIRR gondola cars in east bound trains befor in cuts between 2-4 cars from time to time about 3 months ago as well. Any ideas as to where or why these cars staryed this far or what they may have been loaded with?

by Otto Vondrak

I'm pretty sure these gons are used to transport new ties to LIRR. These cars travel west fairly often, and can be spotted with "LI" reporting marks.

-otto-

by mainline

Your right Otto. Definitely ties.Could be either concrete or wood. New cars or probably just painting over the graffitti. I have slides of Sayville Yard of these drop-end gondolas . Numbers 107, 119 and 120.
  by bingdude

LIRR is in maintenance season...one of its biggest projects is QUEENS interlocking Its being re-build with high speed switches and all concrete ties. It is a 4 track main, and since June 21, only 2 switches are in place and one track out of service.

There have been several stub track sections pre-assembled and brought to the site. Most have been on TTX flats with shorter flats (NS and LIRR markings) in front and behind as idlers as the rails hang over 20 or so feet on each end. The most recent one brought in had a TVRR flat in the middle. Maybe that is what was on Q136 earlier this month.

by SeldenJrFireman

the LIRR is in the process of repainting older equipment. After they hit the MP15's they are probably going to do the rest.
  by fglk

bingdude wrote:LIRR is in maintenance season...one of its biggest projects is QUEENS interlocking Its being re-build with high speed switches and all concrete ties. It is a 4 track main, and since June 21, only 2 switches are in place and one track out of service.

There have been several stub track sections pre-assembled and brought to the site. Most have been on TTX flats with shorter flats (NS and LIRR markings) in front and behind as idlers as the rails hang over 20 or so feet on each end. The most recent one brought in had a TVRR flat in the middle. Maybe that is what was on Q136 earlier this month.
I saw pannel track with concrete ties on CSX Train Q136 back on July 30th this must be going to the LIRR then?

by bingdude

I'd say that's probably the case, fglk.

If you can note the car numbers of panel sections if you see any more I can look out for them.

As of this morning two of the track sections on the east end of that interlocking are done, but there will probably be more panels coming.

by fglk

Last Monday 8/2/04 there were 4 LIRR Gons along with an added 20 DJJX Gons in a West bound fraght all returened the following Friday 8/6 with concrete ties. An added number of flats with pannel track on 65ft TTX Flats were also with in this train along with prebuilt switches on concrete ties as well.
  by bingdude

Passing the Queens project today, there are three TTX flats (one with a pre-fab section on it) and several switch sections ready to be installed.

Work continues, and three tracks now have about 200 yards of concrete ties installed by the CANX train. Still lots of frogs to replace.

LIRR is replacing bad concrete ties, too. See my post on the LIRR forum on Concrete tie lifespan.