• LIRR Assistant Conductor Quizzes/tests

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by dremoney9972

Does anyone know of any resources posting sample quizzes/tests in the Assistant Conductor program for the LIRR? I will be starting the program in the next week and want to get as much up to speed as I can in advance of the classes so when testing comes around I will be extra prepared.
  by lirr42

Welcome to Railroad.net, I can't provide too much information to you, as I'm not an LIRR employee, but feel free to take a look through an ongoing discussion on this forum entitled LIRR Hiring Assistant Conductors! or try taking a look through our Employment foum for info on the LIRR assistant conductor position. I'm not sure if you're going to have too much luck finding quizzes or tests or somethign like that, as I would imagine they're not all that public, but you're weclome to ask around (try using the search feature right underneat the title at the top of the page).
  by Doc Emmet Brown

Just take a deep breath, relax. They will tell you what you are going to need to know while in class. My suggestion is, once you get your book of rules, write out all the rules, signals, and definitions on flash cards, made out of index cards. write the rule, definition or signal on the front and the ans on the back, and flip through them until you know them all.
Example, Front of index card.. TRAIN Back of index card, An Engine or more then one engine, coupled with or without cars, displaying Markers.
These days you can go to a staples or fed ex and copy the info, then cut and paste them on index cards.
Always seemed to me the best was to do it, maybe someone has a better way.
  by truck6018

I second the flash card motion expectantly when it comes to the signals.

If you have to learn the physical characteristics (I don't know if you have to or not for LIRR A/C), I wrote each station on a flash card, mixed them up and placed them in order in each direction.
  by jayrmli

I'll third that on the flash cards. You can use them in your own spare time to get them down, then have a friend display the card for you and try to recite it out loud, just like they will be doing for your test. You will be amazed how many you think you already have down in your head and then when your friend displays one, your mind goes blank. It just takes time and repetition.
  by Bkdee23

I have been invited to take the test next month can someone please tell me about the cognitive test, like what type of questions are on it and what type of math should i know? and was the vocabulary hard?
  by PUMA

Bkdee23 wrote:I have been invited to take the test next month can someone please tell me about the cognitive test, like what type of questions are on it and what type of math should i know? and was the vocabulary hard?
I've never taken the cognitive test, but would think its similar to an aptitude test. This site aptitude-test.com has some good exercises that might help.
  by alexis1993

I was invited to the MTA Assistant conductor open house this month, it says something about a test could anyone tell me what does the first test consist of and how does this hiring process work for this position?