• line near Radisson Airport

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by dhaugh

A friend of mine right now is in Philly at the Radisson near the main airport. He said there is a very nice, 136 lbs welded double track right by his hotel, next to the river, but hasn't seen a train on it since he's been there. (as of Monday 5:00pm) Is this a Septa line or is it a freight line, and why hasn't he seen anything running? Thanks.

by aem7

if its wired, its the R1 airport line, if unwired, its the old CR Darby creek branch which branches off the airport line .

by SEPTALRV9072

actually that's the ex PRR Chester Short Line now run by NS and CSX.

by dhaugh

So, what kind of traffic density does it have to warrant double track?

by SEPTALRV9072

CSX runs locals out there every day and NS supples coal to the PECO/Exelon Plant in Lester daily with a very heavy coal train.

by wagz

On that thought, what is the branch that runs along the south side of the airport with Hog Island Rd. It heads east around the airport and up to a refinery on the Schuylkill River. Very recently new Continuous Welded Rail, new ties and new ballast were installed in sections of it. I've seen a few short locals (4 to 9 cars long) behind CSX power on there while plane spotting, but they infrequently show up. Any info on this branch would be much appreciated.

I know this is technically the SEPTA forum, but I asked a similar question in PA Railfan which got no responses. It looked like everyone here was fmailiar with the RR in the area anyway.
  by pumpers

It's funny it was said above it is the ex PRR Chester branch. I think
for all recent history (past 100 years and more) it was the Reading
Chester branch. Way before that, I think I read once it was part of the
original PRR line to Baltimore. WHen the current PRR mainline was built,
maybe in 1870 or so, because of antitrust reasons PRR had to sell
the old line, which went to the Reading and became its CHester Branch.

Does anyone know the details?

JS

PS. By accident I started a another thread asking about the Radission
Airport, and apparently it is the Renaissance now (500 Stevens Drive
Philadelphia)[/quote]