• Lightweight Non-Electric Loco

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

by cloudship

I am not an expert on trains and locomotives, and I don't know all of those that are out there. So if this seems a sillliy question, it is honest.

What is the lightest-weight locomotive out there for pulling passenger cars? I am talking non-electric, so the HHP-8 is out. Is there an alternative to the Genesis that may not be so large, noisy, or thirsty, particularly for smaller consists of only a few cars?

by MEC407

Theoretically you could take an old GE 44-tonner and convert one of the two engines to provide HEP for the passenger cars. That'd give you a very lightweight passenger loco. :wink: Not bad as long as you don't need to go faster than 10 MPH or so. :wink:

In terms of something that would actually be practical, perhaps something along the lines of a GP15T or GP15-1 with a separate HEP genset tucked inside. That would be perfectly adequate for pulling three typical passenger cars, and would weigh less (and use much less fuel) than an F40PH or a Genesis.

Vermont Rail System had basically the same setup for the commuter train they were running a few years ago, except they used a GP38. I mention the GP15 series because it is lighter and more fuel efficient than the GP38, per your requirements.