• Lightning Bolts by Locomotive Numbers

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by Mattliverpool

Why is there lighten bolts around the numbers? I seen to versions. One bolt under the numbers and the second. One on each side of the numbers. Is this a new paint scheme or a regions aspects?

Thamks
Matt

by Urban D Kaye

The lightning bolts are reserved for CSX's AC4400CW and AC6000CW locos. AC4400's = one bolt, AC6000's = 2 bolts. Of course, some of the AC6000s were then de-rated, and I believe some of those have since been re-rated to 6000 hp.

by railohio

Basically, they're used on AC-powered GE units.

by ACLfan

Actually, the lightning bolts are used on all AC-powered units, both GE and EMD (except yard switchers). As an example, the EMD SD70MAC and SD70ACe units also have the lightning bolts, because they are AC units.

The usage of the lightning bolts on the side of a AC-powered locomotive's cab is a system-wide thing.

ACLfan

by crazy_nip

they are on all CSX AC units except some repainted units (mostly former conrail units) like the former conrail SD70AC and SD80AC units

by Urban D Kaye

Thanks for the additional info... I guess nearly all the SD70AC's I've seen have been ex-Cons (sans bolts). Sorry for the omission.

by steemtrayn

ACLfan wrote:Actually, the lightning bolts are used on all AC-powered units, both GE and EMD (except yard switchers). As an example, the EMD SD70MAC and SD70ACe units also have the lightning bolts, because they are AC units.

The usage of the lightning bolts on the side of a AC-powered locomotive's cab is a system-wide thing.

ACLfan
But isn't real lightning DC?

by CSX Conductor

Urban D Kaye wrote: Of course, some of the AC6000s were then de-rated, and I believe some of those have since been re-rated to 6000 hp.
This is true, many have been re-rated to 6K hp.