Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by DaveBarraza

How did LIC yard run before cab cars came into use?

Did diesels always have a unit on both ends, or else something akin to the Alco control cab units?

What was the routine for getting the power from the west end to the east?

Thanks!
  by Doc Emmet Brown

When The train Came in LIC, The drill crew, (yard crew) would pull the coaches off the Engines and pull them east, past the first crossing, usually on the Lower Montauk. Then the Engineer from the passenger train would move the Engine out of the track, with the Train crew on board, and take the Engine back to Morris park for service. The Yard crew would then put the coaches back in the track for the evening rush hour. Sometimes they put the Engine on the east end and run it short hood forward, but in most cases The engines were run back to Morris park. In the afternoon, Engines would be brought Back from Morris Park for each train. When I worked one of those Jobs, I usually did not ride the engine back, because I lived in queens and could just take the number 7 train home. This went on by the way, right up to the late 1990's, before the Bilevels took over. There were still several Trains using the old equipment right up to the end. Just before I hired on, they had different work rules, and the same crew who brought the train in, would have the whole day off, and then bring the same train back to the original east end terminal. This led to several Conductors and Trainman having banking Jobs or Jobs on wall street, because the closing bell was at 3PM. This gave them Plenty of time to make it back to LIC for their evening trains.
One such Conductor, Mr. JW became a millionaire working at the commodities exchange.
  by Ken S.

Doc Emmet Brown wrote:When The train Came in LIC, The drill crew, (yard crew) would pull the coaches off the Engines and pull them east, past the first crossing, usually on the Lower Montauk. Then the Engineer from the passenger train would move the Engine out of the track, with the Train crew on board, and take the Engine back to Morris park for service. The Yard crew would then put the coaches back in the track for the evening rush hour. Sometimes they put the Engine on the east end and run it short hood forward, but in most cases The engines were run back to Morris park. In the afternoon, Engines would be brought Back from Morris Park for each train. When I worked one of those Jobs, I usually did not ride the engine back, because I lived in queens and could just take the number 7 train home. This went on by the way, right up to the late 1990's, before the Bilevels took over. There were still several Trains using the old equipment right up to the end. Just before I hired on, they had different work rules, and the same crew who brought the train in, would have the whole day off, and then bring the same train back to the original east end terminal. This led to several Conductors and Trainman having banking Jobs or Jobs on wall street, because the closing bell was at 3PM. This gave them Plenty of time to make it back to LIC for their evening trains.
One such Conductor, Mr. JW became a millionaire working at the commodities exchange.
I thought LIRR diesel trains in the 90s all had a Power Pack or MP15 the west end.
  by jayrmli

Only the push-pull trains did. Trains with the 2900 series cars just had the locomotive at the head end. Each car had its own power plant for power.
  by DaveBarraza

Thanks!!

What was the normal route back to Morris Park, btw?
  by Backshophoss

Believe the C secondary,Lower Montauk to Duton/Morris Park was the normal route.
  by Fla East Coast Chris

UNKA.... JW forgot also bending over garbage cans digging cans out and collecting cans on the trains... You easy!!! Mets win!!!
  by Doc Emmet Brown

Yes C secondary, lower montauk was the usual route..sometimes they lashed several engines together.
During one Snow storm in the 70's It was getting bad out, and there was one Engine left going back to Morris Park, where there were at least beds and food. ( yes back then there were actually cots in morris park) So any remaining crews piled in the Engine to hitch a ride. I remember it was an alco century, cant tell you the number. Then a Boss showed up and started to try and enforce the no more then 3 crew members on an engine rule at the time. Engineer said to the boss if we Play that game it will be Me, My Conductor and Brakemen. YOU will be the first to go.. Boss said.. I guess we can look the other way.................Chris... HAMMERTIME!!
  by EM2000

Another method I have heard that was used regularly would be the CE taking all of the engines and wye them over the Montauk Cutoff.
  by DaveBarraza

Thanks again! :-)
  by keyboardkat

I remember seeing F-M C-Liners running backward westbound up the lower Montauk to LIC to be coupled to their evening eastbound trains. I guess I'm really dating myself since the F-Ms went away in 1963.
  by C-LINER 2001

LIRR C-Liner 2001 was my Dads engine in its last years.
  by emfinite

Here's the 2005 running west down Montauk #1 on September 9, 1963. Slide is from my collection. Coincidentally, its one of my only C-Liner slides.

by RGlueck

That's a fascinating picture! Having the memory of G5's running through Mineola, who would ever think of a first generation cab unit looking so good!
  by northpit

Looks like not much visibilty running backwards.Does anyone know how engineers handled that?was there an extra body to watch/callout signals?or did the Engr just stick his head out?From my experiences on the old FA type powerpacks the side window was small and not easy to stick your head out.Nevermind that its kinda not too safe.Thanks