• Leed Jct. Maine - 07-21-2011

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by KSmitty

The Leeds Jct. area was busy this morning,

About 8:30 or a little before there was a northbound with 3 units, a "G" gray GP40-2W the #307 and an ex-Trona 600.
A few minutes later, what I assume to be RUPO headed south, I missed the locomotives, but it had a cut of covered hoppers on the rear end, one in almost untouched D&H red paint and another in almost untouched CNW green, both pretty cool to see.

After the RUPO left the 508 and 506 began switching at the jct. I had to get back to work, so I dont know where they wound up but I would imagine they headed up the Rumford branch.

The best part was seeing that much activity all at once, for central Maine 3 trains in the space of just 15 minutes is a rare occurance!
  by KSmitty

As a follow up, the amount of grain traffic sitting at the jct seems to be up lately, at least based on my limited observations. I assume this is because the elevator and its customers in the area are trying to get the product shipped before winter...

I've never been sure, does the elevator in Leeds ship out or receive grain?
  by bubbytrains

KSmitty wrote:As a follow up, the amount of grain traffic sitting at the jct seems to be up lately, at least based on my limited observations. I assume this is because the elevator and its customers in the area are trying to get the product shipped before winter...

I've never been sure, does the elevator in Leeds ship out or receive grain?
It receives grain (a lot) to feed all those egg-laying chickens. It's been a steady, reliable source of traffic for as long as I've been railfanning.
-Alan S.
  by KSmitty

Thanks, always wondered that...do you know where the cars are loaded?
  by bubbytrains

KSmitty wrote:Thanks, always wondered that...do you know where the cars are loaded?
No but I figure the midwest somewhere. I'm jealous of some people's access to car tracing. ;-)
-Alan