• Least safe stations?

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by tommyboy6181

This has been a popular question on some other forums, so I thought I would bring it here and see what everyone thinks.

Which stations would you say are the least safe late at night/early in the morning or any other time?
  by seth dc

I think standardization and a lack of secluded areas in most stations makes this question hard to answer. The stations were designed with crime prevention in mind. Add a strong transit police force and many, many CCTV cameras, and the result is that the system has very little violent crime. Some garages may have more trouble, but I generally don't park and ride, so I can't answer to that.

by WMATAGMOAGH

The stations themselves are safe, although there are some stations I wouldn't want to exit at after dark (or in a few cases, practically never).

by walt

There probably isn't a good answer to this question. As has been noted, the stations themselves are as safe as any public place can be, and were designed with crime prevention as a top priority. Where there are problems, it is with the areas around some of the stations, and in this regard, there have been some very serious crimes committed near stations in locations where one would not have thought that safety was an issue. It is the nature of today's urban life that there is no such thing as a completely safe place, people bent on committing crimes against others are very mobile and will turn up almost anywhere.