• Layout Design Contest- who's in?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by CIOR

Just wondering how many are doing it?

Personally I have 1 layout done, working on another.

by Otto Vondrak

Yes, I am anxious to see who will participate... I'm really excited to start seeing some of your designs! Feel free to ask any questions related to the contest in the sticky thread at the top of the forum.

-=otto=-

by Otto Vondrak

By the way... you don't need to be a "pro" to design layouts. This contest is open to everyone and anyone.

-otto-

by JDFX

Hey Otto,

You weren't kidding when you said that the room size and shape would deffinately be an odd shape...

I must ask, is this a real location, like someone's basement, or is this something that was invented in your head to be challenging?

In the meantime, I need to look at the plans, and start thinking what I am going to do...

by Otto Vondrak

"Is it a real room?" Yes. Where? All will be revealed when the contest closes!

-otto-

by ANDY117

CAD doesn't,like me....Especially after AutoDesk last year.grrr...

by Otto Vondrak

You dont need CAD to make track plans. A pencil, a compass, and an architect's rule is all you need.

-otto-
  by Komachi

It also dosen't hurt if an older family member is an engineer or architect that has an old drafting table they may be willing to let you use. Parallel rules and drafting triangles come in rather handy for things like this. I would also add that graph paper is also handy for projects like this, as it will help you when dealing with measurements.

Unfortunately, I'm too busy with other things right now, it would be a great excuse to dust off my table and put my drafting skills to work again.
  by CIOR

Komachi wrote:It also dosen't hurt if an older family member is an engineer or architect that has an old drafting table they may be willing to let you use. Parallel rules and drafting triangles come in rather handy for things like this. I would also add that graph paper is also handy for projects like this, as it will help you when dealing with measurements.

Unfortunately, I'm too busy with other things right now, it would be a great excuse to dust off my table and put my drafting skills to work again.
Unfortunately I sold my table a few years back. Luckily I kept all my tools though (with the exception of my .3 and .5 pencils (oops)
Go figure.
I found the .jpg version to work well once printed, although track spacing seemed to be an issue with the larger lead size (LOL)
My 3 plans are done, now to do the 'write-up' on them.

by Otto Vondrak

Response has been slow to the contest so far, but I expect it to pick up towards the end of March into April. I hope you all will consider sending in an entry... no reason to be apprehensive, all comers will be considered equally!

-otto-

by Mr Lehigh

I've drawn out the design of the room and have been working on a few ideas, but I haven't gotten down to actually running mainline yet. Been sorta busy.

by keeper1616

I have one done (ok, otto, I cheated)

And am working on 2 more....a little different, both based on a fictional 70s-ish interurban/regional in the upstate NY area

by Otto Vondrak

Dont worry- still plenty of time. Glad to see there is interest up there- we're really looking forward to seeing all of your ideas! Feel free to post any questions you may have...

-otto-

by CIOR

The biggest thing for me currently is time. The plans are done, but the writeups are taking awhile (fitting it in as I can).
Probably won't get mine in til mid April.

by Otto Vondrak

We've already got a few responses, and we're looking for more! You still have through the end of April! Good luck!

-otto-[/url]