• Lawrence Train Station

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by Mcoov

Does anyone know when they stopped using the train station in Lawrence (the one on the curve), and does anyone have any photos of it, either today or when it was in service?
  by Rockingham Racer

Can't tell you the exact date, but I do remember going to Melrose as a kid from there behind steam engines. It was a great station: snack bar and newstand, several windows [with bars] at the ticket office on the opposit e[east] end, and those tall-backed wooden benches. There was also a set of marble stairs up to the station track [not the mainline] to get to/from trains originating and terminating at Lawrence. Access to the old mainline center platofrm was via a tunnel.
  by Trinnau

A quick look at the short Wikipidea article say December 6, 2005.
  by TPR37777

Trinnau wrote:A quick look at the short Wikipidea article say December 6, 2005.
I believe the poster was speaking of the old brick station adjacent to the Parker Street bridge, which hasn't been used as a train station in decades. The 2005 date was when they stopped using the low level platforms just to the south of this. I am in this area frequently, I will try and grab a few pictures in the next few days.
  by jbvb

I haven't noticed a date in the time-line summary of passenger service changes that has been running in the B&M Bulletin for several years, but my guess would be between 1958 (when McGinnis' real-estate sell-off went into high gear) and December 1965 (when passenger service was reduced to one weekday round-trip). In the 1970s the building was occupied by a bakery and the two baggage/mail/express loading tracks at the E. side still had their short umbrella shed, though they hadn't been used in a long time.
  by bmcdr

Mcoov wrote:Does anyone know when they stopped using the train station in Lawrence (the one on the curve), and does anyone have any photos of it, either today or when it was in service?
I have the origial construction photos, groundbreaking to finish, let me know if you're interested at [email protected] I tried to send you a PM, but it wouldn't go through.