• Large Pile of Dirt at Oak Point Yard?

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by fordhamroad

-driving by, I notice a very large mountain of dirt piled high at Oak Point Yard. Is something new being constructed? Has CSX or Amtrak sold off part of the yard? Anyone have the story? Thanks

Roger
  by Raildrill

The large pile of dirt belongs to another company who owns the land next to oak POint yard. They are planning on building a large warehouse building on the large pile of dirt.
  by fordhamroad

--thanks. I noticed today it was being levelled off. It looked from the highway like it was burying some of the old catenary towers -- former yard trackage? Putting such a large terrain feature next to the yard -- it looks about four or five stories high -- might cause drainage problems for the lower lying freight yard.

--I wonder which company it is. It is highly unusual to see so much fill on a building site.

Roger
  by roadster

Just a theory, but if this building is being built on a portion of the former yard, the soil under it would most likely be considered contaminated. Therefore trying to dig a foundation would create serious issues with disposal of the removed dirt. it would be somewhat cheaper to simply bring in clean dirt to fillin and then build the foundation and building on the clean dirt. But this is just a theory.