• Lakehurst

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by NJ Vike

I will be travelling down to my in-laws this weekend and wanted to know where I can view some freight lines in the Manchester Twsp. area.

One time I was down there, I noticed tracks that crossed over RT571 I believe that heads towards some naval base. Is this an active track?

Does Toms River/Lakewood/Lakehurst have any active lines? If so, who serves the area?

Thanks!

by NY&LB

See "CR on the Southern Secondary" topic within this forum, there should be a train Sunday afternoon in Lakehurst bometime between 3 and 6 PM.
  by NJ Vike

I will be looking for it this weekend.

Thanks again.

by snavely

Vike, the short answers to your questions are yes, the tracks crossing 571 are an active freight line, the former Jersey Central NJ Southern Branch a/k/a the Southern Secondary. It sees a few trains a week. The Navy base is Lakehurst Naval Air Engineering Center. If you're going to be in the area this weekend, Sunday afternoon is most likely to spot a train. The good news is if you hear one in the distance, you should have time to get out there and watch it since the whole line is under a 10MPH speed restriction.

by NJ Vike

snavely wrote:Vike, the short answers to your questions are yes, the tracks crossing 571 are an active freight line, the former Jersey Central NJ Southern Branch a/k/a the Southern Secondary. It sees a few trains a week. The Navy base is Lakehurst Naval Air Engineering Center. If you're going to be in the area this weekend, Sunday afternoon is most likely to spot a train. The good news is if you hear one in the distance, you should have time to get out there and watch it since the whole line is under a 10MPH speed restriction.
Thanks for the information. I had thought I had heard it several times in the area but wasn't sure where it was coming from since I didn't travel north on 571. After going in this direction weeks later, I found the tracks.

One time I went there after I heard the whistle and I missed it. I must be really slow :-)

I notice that there are tracks that run right along RT 70 and through Heritage Minerals. Is this also the CNJ Southern Division? Does this take you to Whitings?

I can see on the map that the CNJ Southern Division runs right through the Pine Barrens as I've followed it throughout,i.e., Woodmanise, Pasadena, Chatsworth, Carranza/Sandy Ridge and Atsion.

When I go north of Pasedena is where I'm confused as there's another track across the area from Pasadena that crosses over. I think it may go to an old station called Uption. Was this CNJ or some other railroad?

What about Whiting?

Thanks for the reply

Ken

by SPUI

http://web.mit.edu/spui/www/temp/nj.pdf
Whitings was a 5-way junction, with the NJ Southern (CNJ) running northeast-southwest, the Philly & Atlantic (and other names) (PRR) running east-west, and the Tuckerton RR going off to the southeast.

by NJ Vike

SPUI wrote:http://web.mit.edu/spui/www/temp/nj.pdf
Whitings was a 5-way junction, with the NJ Southern (CNJ) running northeast-southwest, the Philly & Atlantic (and other names) (PRR) running east-west, and the Tuckerton RR going off to the southeast.
Great Map. Thanks for sharing.

Ken