• Lake George area railroads?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Pj

I will be in Lake George this weekend, and will have some downtime. Other than Selkirk to the south, any place close with somewhat decent action?
  by b&m617

The Upper Hudson River RR is about 1/2 north of lake george in North creek; get off the northway at exit 23, take rt 9 notth to rt 28, take that north to north creek and follow the signs. Nice ride along th Hudson, Vinage Alco power. Ask the conductor, depending on who the engineer is you can get a cab ride.

Enjoy!

by Otto Vondrak

Consider also visiting Saratoga or Whitehall along the D&H mainline... you may catch D&H freight or Amtrak passenger trains. Also consider visiting the Upper Hudson River Railroad (former North Creek branch of the D&H) in North Creek.

-otto-

by Pj

Thanks!

I was up there over the weekend, however losing all but 1st and 3rd gear in my truck outside of Whitehall NY and then nuring it to Rutland VT to get it fixed kinda killed my extra railfan time. I did find the CP/DH main, but didn't see any traffic. Looks like the mainline was rehabbed somewhat recently.

Of course, on my way back home, I did see the signals lit up in Whitehall, but I didn't have too much time to hang around and wait...so nada.