• Lackawanna Station Hotel - Scranton

• Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.
Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.

Moderator: metman499

by Otto Vondrak

Are any of the platforms remaining? Are they accessible? In other words, could a hypothetical excursion train be boarded from the hotel, or have all the tracks been removed?

-otto-

by metman499

Otto, I believe a bar/resturant is in the old platform area. They enclosed the canopies to make it into a room. The chow was decent there three years ago, although I can not remeber the price.

by nessman

I toured the old station several years ago... you can still see some rails poking through the asphalt under the shed, but otherwise, the building will no longer serve as a station.

by umtrr-author

We were there over the summer and can confirm the reports. There's no real trackage accessibility from the station property.

Incidentally, I seem to recall that the station was going to be changing hands and perhaps branding, but there were no plans for anything that would concern fans.

by bwparker1

That is not true, I ate at the station hotel about 4 months ago and the track run right behind the hotel, and I believe that the platform outside on the bar area could bery very functional. If I recall correctly, there is also a wrought iron fence that separates the sidewalk from the platform adjacent to the hotel. See below picture.

I believe they could easily use the platform area with minor modifications.

Brooks

http://www.consultwebs.com/ncphotos/ima ... _550wm.jpg

by Charlie Monte Verde

Otto-

I don't know if you've been there since your post, but the signal and 2 passenger stubs remain at the west end of the trackside parking lot. I believe the tracks are still in the blacktop throughout the lot also. I think you may have been to Scranton since your original post? If not, this ought to help.

CDMV

by RS-3

If I'm not mistaken Steamtown has on occasion boarded passengers there for specials. I've seen one or two specials load/unload at the east end of the station and the even the regular steamtown shuttle stop there. As far as I could tell it could easy be used as a "station". The real problem for using it as such for other than an occasional special is the lack of any real parking nearby.

RS

by SemperFidelis

Active freight tracks run within feet of where you can dine (quite well) on Sunday morning brunch. The tracks run, as they have for decades, right past the old platforms.

by Otto Vondrak

I'll have to check this out next time I visit. I always thought it would be neat to board a train from the old station...