• Knox&Kane Engine House in Kane, PA Vandalized/Arson

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by nessman

lvrr325 wrote:I've always thought arsonists should be found to have "accidentally" spilled their gasoline or whatever all over themselves.... too bad on that caboose, looks like it had been restored?
You know it's sad and pathetic that some of you railfans out there give the life of a person (albeit a dangerous felon) less value than that of an old caboose. Prison time? Absolutely. Last I checked, there was this piece of paper laying around Washington DC called the Constitution, with an amendment that states that no cruel and unusual punsishment be inflicted upon the citizenry of this country. In Wilkerson v. Utah, 99 U.S. 130 (1878) the Supreme Court commented that drawing and quartering, public dissecting, burning alive and disemboweling would constitute cruel and unusual punishment.
  by JC1076

nessman wrote:
lvrr325 wrote:I've always thought arsonists should be found to have "accidentally" spilled their gasoline or whatever all over themselves.... too bad on that caboose, looks like it had been restored?
You know it's sad and pathetic that some of you railfans out there give the life of a person (albeit a dangerous felon) less value than that of an old caboose. Prison time? Absolutely. Last I checked, there was this piece of paper laying around Washington DC called the Constitution, with an amendment that states that no cruel and unusual punsishment be inflicted upon the citizenry of this country. In Wilkerson v. Utah, 99 U.S. 130 (1878) the Supreme Court commented that drawing and quartering, public dissecting, burning alive and disemboweling would constitute cruel and unusual punishment.
He wasn't saying that arsonists ought to be caught and punished that way, just that it would be a sort of poetic justice for an arsonist to accidentally get burned himself. Personally, as a victim of an arson myself, I agree with that sentiment; by the same token, I know it's just an emotional reaction because of my own experience, and in reality a good long prison sentence is what firebugs deserve... unless their actions cause physical injury or death to another human being. That's just my two cents.
  by lvrr325

It's sad that in this day and age criminals have more rights than the people they cause harm to. In my opinion I see no issue should someone who chooses to play with fire, get burned. If they're in the hospital recovering, they can't set any more fires - fires that could spread out of control and kill innocent people.
  by EMTRailfan

Photos of the steamers, #38 and #58 on railpictures.net. My shots of GP9 #39 and the coach didn't make RP quality. I'll add those when I get some more time.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 791&nseq=1
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 792&nseq=0
  by EMTRailfan

Here's a shot of #39 fire damage.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 303&nseq=0
I also have a link in my photo remarks to before photos of this old girl in action. EVEN 2 OF HER AS WM #39!
  by Richard Glueck

Apparently, the Chinese Mikado will live to see another day, rebuilt as a New Haven Mike. See the postings on RYPN.