• Kitbashing an NW5

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by Stephen

What frame did EMD use for the NW5s? Was it the GP9's, GP7s, or something else?

If I understand correctly, the long hood was identical to a NW2, was the short hood unique, or was it also from another pre-existing design?

There is an article in Railmodel Journal that suggests using a GP35 frame, but that doesn't sound correct since they were from very different eras. The article also suggest using SW7 calfs for the body, I haven't checked yet to see if the are similar in design to the NW2s.

http://www.railmodeljournal.com/july4si ... model.html

Thanks for any information on this.
- Stephen

by Trackmobile

Check out the November 2003 issue of Model Railroader.Look under the Prototype Info department.It gives some pretty good info on the prototype NW5 and some modeling ideas.

by Stephen

Thanks. I'll check into that one.
-Stephen

by JDFX

If I recall correctly, the GP7/9/18/20/30/35 all share the same frame. It wasn't untill the 645 that frames got lengthened...

If I were to do this project, I would start with a Kato NW-2, and perhaps another NW-2 shell, along with a Proto2000 GP frame.

I'd need to look at the nose better, but I'd think you could probably take the nose from the second shell, and with some sanding and filing, end up with an appropriate short nose.

As for the walkways, I'm going to guess that the Proto-2000 walkway set from a gp-7 or 9 series would work best, but I am not sure if that would effect the height from the railhead in the model.

Stick with the drive and trucks from the Proto unit as well.

Never had to build one, but perhaps now I might think about it..

by Stephen

Thanks JDFX.

I just picked up a copy of the book "Model Railroader Cyclopedia - Volume 2: Diesel Locomotives" from Kalmbach. So now I should be able to get that answer.

- Stephen