• Kingston NY Station

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by weehawken1883

Hello,

Can anyone provide the year when the Kingston NY pasenger station on the West Shore was demolished?

Thanks.

Kevin Cunningham
  by Otto Vondrak

I'm trying to find the answer to that question... in the meantime, here's a photo of said station from 1946:
kingston.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by Noel Weaver

I don't know if anybody on here has the answer to this one but here is some information from old employee timetables.
The last timetble showing passenger service through Kingston was no. 3 dated Alpruil 27, 1958. Supplement no. 1 to this
timetable took effect June 30, 1958 and this supplement abolished all passenger trains north (timetable west) of West
Haverstraw as of that time. When this supplement took effect the only remaining passenger service was AM rush to
Weehawken and PM rush to West Haverstraw although the ferries were still operating.
KI Interlocking was in the Kingston Station and it was open 7:00 AM to 4:00 PM Monday through Friday.
Timetable no. 4 dated October 26, 1958 shows Kingston Station but the Interlocking Station was no longer open at this time.
By this date every indication was that the passenger station had been closed completely.
The last timetable showing Kingston Station in the pages was in 1964 but by then it is doubtful if the building was still there.
The New York Central under Perlman did not waste time in getting rid of facilities, buildings etc that were not needed for
operations because of the heavy taxes imposed on railroad property and facilities.
After all of this, my guess and it is only a guess is that the building itself may have been demolished in 1959.
In closing, it was very interesting to go through these wonderful old timetables.
Noel Weaver
  by weehawken1883

Thanks. We are making progress.
  by Otto Vondrak

I am told from another source:

"In looking back on posts on the UDRRHS Yahoo Group, Gordon Davids mentions that it was demolished by the spring of 1960, when he made a trip to Kingston. Passenger service ended on the West Shore in 1958, so Gordon speculated that it was demolished quickly to get it off the NYCRR tax rolls."

Hope this helps.

-otto-
  by weehawken1883

The last day for Weehawken-Albany passenger service through Kingston was Sunday, June 29, 1958. Trains 81 (WB) and 82 (EB) made the last run, with double-headed Alco RS's. There is a photo of #81 on that day in the June 1959 TRAINS magazine.

Kevin Cunningham