• Kew Gardens and Forest Hills 4 to 6 car platforms

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by AlKaLI

tahawus84 wrote:They put these platforms up quickly but they look like they are temporary. Why didn’t they just continue the platform in concrete?
I think it would have taken a lot longer to pour concrete for four platform extensions. The work was completed in less than two months and the crews did professional work.

The extensions were open this morning and there was even an announcement by the Jamaica dispatcher (as well as on board my train) that now KG and FH passengers need to be in the first six cars.
  by KT3

What is the LIRR's long-term plan with these "temporary" platform extensions? Do they have any plans to try to make the platform extensions permanent, perhaps by extending the existing concrete platforms? Hard to image these temporary platforms are meant to have a long lifespan, regardless of how professional the installation was by the crew.
  by newkirk

tahawus84 wrote: They put these platforms up quickly but they look like they are temporary. Why didn’t they just continue the platform in concrete?
I agree with your statement. When the time comes to construct permanent platforms, then they'll have to go back to a 4 car platform.

Makes no sense, why did they construct permanent platforms to begin with?
  by AlKaLI

From the MTA:
http://www.mta.info/news/2018/09/12/lon ... ew-gardens" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Long Island Rail Road has completed work to lengthen the platforms at Forest Hills and Kew Gardens. The platforms are 50% longer than they were previously, allowing six cars of a train to meet the platform instead of four as previously.

The project was completed by LIRR personnel in seven weeks. Work began on July 23.

Wanted to copy and paste the picture but couldn't do that. See it on the website.
  by Union Tpke

AlKaLI wrote:
tahawus84 wrote:They put these platforms up quickly but they look like they are temporary. Why didn’t they just continue the platform in concrete?
I think it would have taken a lot longer to pour concrete for four platform extensions. The work was completed in less than two months and the crews did professional work.

The extensions were open this morning and there was even an announcement by the Jamaica dispatcher (as well as on board my train) that now KG and FH passengers need to be in the first six cars.
Are there any pictures/notices/articles that cite September 10th as the opening date?