• Kenya- Uganda Railway

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

by george matthews

johnthefireman wrote:Railway bridges in western Kenya: http://www.friendsoftherail.com/phpBB2/ ... 21&t=12910" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have been over those bridges (assuming they are on the mainline) but never seen them as the train passed over them at night. I took the train from Kampala to Nairobi several times, and many times the train between Kisumu and Nairobi.
  by philipmartin

philipmartin wrote: One of these railpictures.net photos (copyright George Trub,) shows the East African Railways 2409 pulling a mixed train from Makadara past the Nairobi East signal box, into the station.
Nairobi East signal box: lower quadrant signal, nothing but the best. At least they don't have to worry about ice building up on them and forcing them down into a false clear signal.
  by johnthefireman

In Kenya the signals in the Nairobi station area are lower quadrant while the signals out on the line are upper quadrant.
  by philipmartin

johnthefireman wrote:In Kenya the signals in the Nairobi station area are lower quadrant while the signals out on the line are upper quadrant.
I wonder what the reason for using lower quadrant is?
  by johnthefireman

History of Uganda Railway
Mogo wa’Kebiro, a Gikuyu medicine man, once prophesied that colonialists would one day bring an iron snake with as many legs as monyongoro (centipede), and that this iron snake would spit fire and would stretch from the big water in the east to another big water in the west of the Gikuyu country...
I've e-mailed the journalist to point out his error in saying that the gauge is 3' 6" when in fact it is metre gauge.
  by george matthews

johnthefireman wrote:History of Uganda Railway
Mogo wa’Kebiro, a Gikuyu medicine man, once prophesied that colonialists would one day bring an iron snake with as many legs as monyongoro (centipede), and that this iron snake would spit fire and would stretch from the big water in the east to another big water in the west of the Gikuyu country...
I've e-mailed the journalist to point out his error in saying that the gauge is 3' 6" when in fact it is metre gauge.
That story has been around for decades and is found in several books. I'd like to know more about it.

I think the article is not very accurate. He does admit that the line was Metre gauge but does not refer to the decision to reduce the gauge - mainly because they knew they could use Indian equipment and reduce the cost a bit.
As the construction progressed, the demand for locomotives and wagons increased. Arrangements were made to have standard ‘F’ locomotives for the meter gauge rail from the India State Rail. Unfortunately, the Indian government was not willing to let go of their latest locomotives. Instead, they released the 1879 standard ‘F’ locomotives.
  by george matthews

Very depressing.
  by george matthews

Sir Ray wrote:
johnthefireman wrote:Experts at war over rail structure and supervision as SGR project limps on
"“These problems keep arising because the contractors are being conservative on the amount of steel reinforcement being used on the structures"

Also known as "cutting corners"... :(
I interpreted "conservative" as meaning they used more than necessary. But presumably they used not enough.

This is an area where there are earthquakes, not very often but foresighted building should prepare for serious shaking. The Rift Valley moves every so often. If the Chinese designed this project they should be aware of the need, considering that serious earth movements occur in China.

But I have the impression that accidents caused by poor building techniques are not uncommon in China.
  by Sir Ray

george matthews wrote:
Sir Ray wrote:
johnthefireman wrote:Experts at war over rail structure and supervision as SGR project limps on
"“These problems keep arising because the contractors are being conservative on the amount of steel reinforcement being used on the structures"

Also known as "cutting corners"... :(
I interpreted "conservative" as meaning they used more than necessary. But presumably they used not enough.
The article is pretty clear that the Chinese contractors are skimping on construction materials and cutting corners:
“The design standard being used by the Chinese is not what Kenyan engineers have used before and this was the main bone of contention in this project. For instance, Kenyans use steel in making culverts while the Chinese prefer concrete with minimal to no steel reinforcement,” he said.
I find this quote interesting:
They have attributed these apparent weaknesses to the contractor’s decision to use the Chinese Standard instead of the British Standard that they are familiar with.
In context, this implies the Chinese standard is, well, what we in the US view, say, cheap power tools from Chinese -as unmitigated designed to fail junk.

Obviously Chinese engineers, designers, and workers can produce high quality, well-engineered durable products, but the corporations ordering the products often won't pay for that - does the same apply to those paying the bill on this East African railroad project?
  by george matthews

In context, this implies the Chinese standard is, well, what we in the US view, say, cheap power tools from Chinese -as unmitigated designed to fail junk.

Obviously Chinese engineers, designers, and workers can produce high quality, well-engineered durable products, but the corporations ordering the products often won't pay for that - does the same apply to those paying the bill on this East African railroad project?
I can imagine all too easily the same kind of result in Kenya as the Chinese built railway from Zambia to Dar es Salaam. This brought a Cape Gauge connection to Dar es Salaam. It ought to be a successful line with plenty of freight (copper ingots) and occasional passenger traffic. In practice it functions very badly and the Chinese engineers and managers seem totally useless. (By engineer I do not mean drivers; they are Africans).

I fear the Standard Gauge line will suffer from the same poor standard of design and building. It's main effect will be to destroy the narrow gauge line which is, when properly managed, efficient.