• KCS/CP Merger Discussion

• Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPR.CA.
Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPR.CA.

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

by Wayside

I was under the impression that CN was out of the running for a KCS merger. Am I wrong about that? Or am I "wrong" about that?
  by JayBee

Wayside wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:30 pm I was under the impression that CN was out of the running for a KCS merger. Am I wrong about that? Or am I "wrong" about that?
CN just wants divestiture of the old Gateway Western to be a condition of the merger. What I don't understand about this is does CN expect the STB to impose Gateway conditions on UP and BNSF at Kansas City as a result of a merger of which they are not a part of? If the STB doesn't impose such conditions how are they going to get anything from KC except Intermodal. Plus of course CN wants access to capacity at KCS's Intermodal facility. Are they willing to build their own capacity, or is their plan to reduce CPKC's ability to grow traffic their.

I think CN's real goal is to hopefully just scuttle the whole merger.
  by JayBee

BTW - NS, BNSF, and CSX's dream lists are now available on the STB website, with Executive Summaries available on the Trains Magazine Newswire. Interesting that CSX now wants access to the Meridian Speedway.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Look who's back in the game:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/activist-w ... lewebshare

Fair Use:
Billionaire investor William Ackman acquired a stake in Canadian Pacific Railway Ltd. CP 0.08% as the railroad seeks regulatory approval for its proposed $27 billion merger with Kansas City Southern.

Mr. Ackman’s hedge fund Pershing Square Capital Management disclosed in a regulatory filing that it owned roughly 2.8 million shares of Canadian Pacific as of Dec. 31.

The fund actually had exposure to many times that—about 14.8 million shares as of Monday, according to a person familiar with the matter. That figure would make Mr. Ackman one of the railway’s top 15 holders with a stake worth well over $1 billion based on the current share price.
Hindsight says he should have just stayed in; but then, that's not how these boys play the game (except Warren, whose holding period is "forever").
  by Gilbert B Norman

I think this is an exciting development. While it was noted in KCSCP plans submitted at the Surfboard hearings. That somebody believes security is "adequate" to handle high value ladings through what is regarded as "lawless" country, is a plus for all parties in interest.

Here is discussion related to the Port of Lazaro Cardenas:

https://railroad.net/lazaro-cardenas-is ... l#p1588555
  by Gilbert B Norman

Apparently, this development has not been reported at this topic, however such is being discussed elsewhere at the site:

metra-stb-filing-opposes-cp-kcs-merger-t174079.html

There is "breathtaking news" of such being reported on local media outlets
  by Pensyfan19

Out off all the KCS CP related articles, ranging from direct news to protests, this in my opinion is rather, bizarre. Apparently Metra is claiming that a CP KCS merger would increase train delays on their Milwaukee Lines by 1,200%...

https://railfan.com/metra-cp-kcs-merger ... in-delays/
CHICAGO — Metra officials said Canadian Pacific has failed to consider how its merger with Kansas City Southern might impact commuter rail service in Chicagoland and that if it’s approved without conditions it could result in a “1,200 percent” increase in passenger train delays. 

That dramatic figure, measured by every 100 train miles on Metra, was outlined in a filing with the U.S. Surface Transportation Board recently. The filing comes as the federal regulator continues to consider the CP-KCS combination, which would be the largest railroad merger in a generation. Metra isn’t the only entity to raise concerns about the proposed merger in recent weeks: A number of community groups, politicians and other railroads have been critical of it. But few comments have been as dramatic as those filed by Metra.

In its filing — which revised a previous comment earlier this year — Metra said it appears CP did not take into account the number of passenger trains that run on its Milwaukee District line northwest of the city, assuming that all track capacity could be used for freights. Metra goes on to state that approving the merger with no conditions would result in “substantial and problematic” impacts on the region’s passengers.