Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by keithsy

They would be great, if they were run right. They are restricted in speed by that stupid FRA. The ATO will never realize. Plus, you must have the caliber of people to operate these things to their fullest and understand them.
  by Terry Kennedy

keithsy wrote:They are restricted in speed by that stupid FRA.
Source?

Parts of the PATH system used to have a 60MPH maximum speed. That's been cut back for some reason.

Even parts that used to have lower speed limits have had them reduced further - as an example, there's been a slow restriction entering the portal for quite a few years now, with "temporary" trackside [S] and [R] markers, which are normally used when there's track maintenance going on. They seem to be permanent now, though, with a radar speed detector / display by the employee stop. Those have been showing up elsewhere in the system, too.
  by Head-end View

Yes, I miss those days when the eastbound trains would accelerate up to a good clip out of Journal Square and enter the tunnel at a good speed. And I understand the normal speed across the Meadows is 55 mph? I don't notice any difference from 30 years ago......... :-)
  by OportRailfan

I'm pretty sure that its still 40 headed towards the portal east of all the switches (SUMMIT interlocking I think?)

As previously stated there's been a digital speedometer just outside the entrance to Portal for a good year at least, guess they don't want the engineer's taking that sharp left turn as fast, or something along those lines.
  by Fan Railer

OportRailfan wrote:I'm pretty sure that its still 40 headed towards the portal east of all the switches (SUMMIT interlocking I think?)

As previously stated there's been a digital speedometer just outside the entrance to Portal for a good year at least, guess they don't want the engineer's taking that sharp left turn as fast, or something along those lines.
yep, there's still that sign leaving JSQ stating the 40 mph limit going into the tunnels...
  by Head-end View

Well, more new trains are coming in-service. I saw 2 consecutive PA-5 trains leave WTC for Newark a few days ago at mid-day. I passed up the first one, thinking the next one would be an old train and was a little flabbergasted when the 2nd one came in. I didn't think that would be happening quite yet. Does anyone know if the cars are being delivered and/or going into service in numerical order? I seem to recall seeing #5624 on one of those trains. Luckily all the other trains I saw and rode to Newark and back that day were old ones. Let's hope there's at least another year of good front window viewing before all is lost............ :(
  by TREnecNYP

Just the other day on my iPhone i clocked a PATH train that i was on doing 62 mph.

- A
  by JCGUY

NJ bound PA-5 broke down last night (Sunday night) at Christopher. Conductor (probably not using that term correctly) ordered the train emptied of passengers, tried loading them up again, then repeated the process. It seems that some sensor or other on the train tilts (old pinball expression) when the train gets "crowded" and the tilt can sometimes be reset by unloading and reloading the train. This trick didn't work last night and a train full of the tired and drunk huddled masses had to wait at the Christopher Street firetrap for an old reliable to roll up and take them on their way. The 33rd-HBK-And Onward train on weekend nights pretty much handles rush hour sized crowds. It's really too bad for all concerned that they are having all these problems.
  by Kaback9

JCGUY wrote:NJ bound PA-5 broke down last night (Sunday night) at Christopher. Conductor (probably not using that term correctly) ordered the train emptied of passengers, tried loading them up again, then repeated the process. It seems that some sensor or other on the train tilts (old pinball expression) when the train gets "crowded" and the tilt can sometimes be reset by unloading and reloading the train. This trick didn't work last night and a train full of the tired and drunk huddled masses had to wait at the Christopher Street firetrap for an old reliable to roll up and take them on their way. The 33rd-HBK-And Onward train on weekend nights pretty much handles rush hour sized crowds. It's really too bad for all concerned that they are having all these problems.
Give them sometime, the cars are only about a year old.
  by kwyjibo007

Anybody know why the blue light flashes on the PA-5s?

I haven't been able to figure it out. Its either a few cars in a consist or the entire train. It can get kinda annoying seeing 5, 6, or 7, blue lights flashing (especially when they are all out of sync) when you're around them for an extended period of time.
  by Silverliner II

kwyjibo007 wrote:Anybody know why the blue light flashes on the PA-5s?

I haven't been able to figure it out. Its either a few cars in a consist or the entire train. It can get kinda annoying seeing 5, 6, or 7, blue lights flashing (especially when they are all out of sync) when you're around them for an extended period of time.
I was about to ask that same question. I can tell when a PA-5 set is coming across Hack bridge and down through South Kearny in the dark from all the flashing blue lights on the sides....
  by lostsoul

when those blue lights are for automatic train control
  by Allan

lostsoul wrote:

PATH is not wired for ATC at this time.
  by lostsoul

Allan wrote:
lostsoul wrote:

PATH is not wired for ATC at this time.
But it will be and those blue lights will go solid when it does,
  by JCGUY

Has anyone else noted that the PA-5s seem to have been taken out of service entirely? I don't even see empty test trains running through the stations any more.