• Just Announced: Atlas HO Heavyweight passenger cars

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by B44NYC

Just checked out Atlas HO announcement page....Atlas HO Single Window and Paired Window Heavyweight Coaches!

If Atlas starts getting into the passenger car market (crossing my fingers for Erie Lackawanna and LIRR), look out!
  by timberley

Although I have no interest in these cars (the only one relevant to my interests, CN, is long before my modelling era), I still think it's exciting to see Atlas entering the passenger car market. If they do it well (and there are high standards these days, with the likes of Rapido in the market), then they could be a welcome addition to the market. There are lots of gaps in the model passenger car world, and it would be nice to see them filled.

Before we get too excited though, it should be noted that this appears to be an upgraded model based on the old Branchline tooling that Atlas acquired some time ago. So while it may lead to more passenger car offerings down the line (especially if it sells well), it may also just be a one-off model since they already have the basic tooling for it done.

We shall have to see.
  by Backshophoss

A while back(a year or so),Atlas "aquired" Branchline trains passenger and freight kit lines,and is now
rereleasing the kits under the "Atlas" name.
Same kit-new "packaging".
  by timberley

True, they are releasing the Branchline kits as well. The difference with this new announcement is that it is a fully RTR, Master series model with all the bells and whistles (interior, underbody, etc).

What seems likely is that Atlas has worked off of one of the Branchline bases, and is now basically making the kit into an RTR model, as well as adding new road names.
  by Otto Vondrak

B44NYC wrote:Just checked out Atlas HO announcement page....Atlas HO Single Window and Paired Window Heavyweight Coaches!

If Atlas starts getting into the passenger car market (crossing my fingers for Erie Lackawanna and LIRR), look out!
A link to the Atlas announcement:

http://www.atlasrr.com/HOFreight/hohwpa ... Ah1-UT1eqQ

As stated earlier, they acquired the Branchline Trains tooling.

-otto-