• Job history question for Conductors/T&E

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by FCM2829

I have a question for Conductors or other T&E employees:
Does a history of self-employment preclude consideration for an assistant conductor new hire position, Specifically at Amtrak? I have run my own business for several years now and am interested in T&E in Maine/NH/MA. I can give a long list of references for those I have worked for both as customers and other contractors, but in terms of a 'job' I haven't really been an employee for nearly 6 years or more (left on good terms). The job posting @ Amtrak listed 'supervisory experience' as a preferred work experience, and I have managed construction sites, hired and overseen sub-cons, applied for permits and arranged inspections. I think this would count, no?

Please reply with any useful info, I am interested in a career in T&E.
Frank
  by ACT1FTX

I can't speak for Amtrak specifically but on the BNSF no... I work with guys who were contractors or owned landscaping business' and a pool guy.
  by Engineer Spike

I don't know about Amtrak either, but here at CP, there are several who were contractors prior to the railroad. They may want to know why you went out of business. These contractors can say a weak economy made potential clients put off remodeling, for example. The high cost of self insuring medical....