Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by Dylanchris73

If the bond goes through, which I voter FOR, a JFK rail link will be built. Kind of defeats the Airtrain, doesn't it?
  by Allan

Dylanchris73 wrote:If the bond goes through, which I voter FOR, a JFK rail link will be built. Kind of defeats the Airtrain, doesn't it?
Don't make that assumption. Bond issues have been passed before and the money diverted to other projects.

The Second Avenue Subway has been funded by bond issues a number of times since it was proposed back in the 1920's and to this date not much has happened.

As for the JFK rail link - I have serious doubts that it will come to pass - at least not as proposed.
  by Lirr168

Allan wrote:
Dylanchris73 wrote:If the bond goes through, which I voter FOR, a JFK rail link will be built. Kind of defeats the Airtrain, doesn't it?
Don't make that assumption. Bond issues have been passed before and the money diverted to other projects.

The Second Avenue Subway has been funded by bond issues a number of times since it was proposed back in the 1920's and to this date not much has happened.

As for the JFK rail link - I have serious doubts that it will come to pass - at least not as proposed.
I think the MTA has bigger fish to fry at this point, among them LIRR East Side Access, the 2nd Ave. subway, a third track for the LIRR Main Line, and replacement of a rapidly aging fleet of subway cars.

by 4 Express

To me the bond act should be used to make our systems more into the 21st Century.
As for the JFK Rail Link, build a LGA rail link first.

by Dylanchris73

I agree. LGA is way underserved

by jtr1962

A spur from the #7 is all you really need to serve LaGuardia, and it can be a one-seat ride all the way to Times Square. It seems like amazing this was never done.

by jlr3266

NYCT and PANY&NJ can't agree on the way to do this.

by Dylanchris73

JTR, where do you build an extension?

by jtr1962

Dylanchris73 wrote:JTR, where do you build an extension?
Looking at a map a spur running from the current #7 line along Junction Blvd would be the most direct route. You can have trains running direct from LGA along the spur and then along the present #7 line from Junction Blvd to Times Square. You can make express stops only going to Manhattan AM or from Manhattan PM. In any case it would be a one seat ride of 30 minutes or less, far better than the current arrangement involving feeder buses to the subway. I also don't believe building an el for the 2 or so miles along Junction Blvd would be a problem since it is mostly commercial/industrial.

by Dylanchris73

Interesting, but is there any chance that happens? I tend to doubt it., since no one seems to be screaming for it like they do for SAS.

by jtr1962

Dylanchris73 wrote:Interesting, but is there any chance that happens?
Probably not. Chances are LGA will be closed long before any rail link is built.