• It's Great to be back aboard an Amtrak Train :-()

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by mlrr

After a whole year away from riding and Amtrak train (which is torture to me, lol) I finally boarded train 176 at 1:56 PM. yesterday at Philadelphia's 30th Street Station. The ride was very pleasant. Our train consisted of no more than 8 cars and I sat in the quiet car which was the last car on our train. This was one of the fiew times on my trips to STM where I did not have to move a few cars back/forward to detrain. The car I was in was practically empty and it was easy to find a seat.

It was a pleasant "return to Amtrak" as I saw allot of rail traffic and Amtrak activity, especailly around Sunny Side Yard and Penn Station. More than I've usually seen on previous trips. Yesterday's trip was one of three Amtrak trips I will be taking within the next week. I am boarding train 95 at STM next Thursday and taking the train to VA. I rode that train before for the same reason 3 years ago. I'm looking forward to that trip because it's even longer and I get to ride South of Philly (Not to mention that I don't have to get off in Philly to go back to school; at least for that trip, lol). I will return to Philly a few days later.

Anyway, I though I'd just share this with you guys. Anyone else board an Amtrak train this week?
  by Gilbert B Norman

I must wonder. Mr. Kyle, how you went a year?

From what I can determine, you go to school in West Phila (UPenn?, Drexel?) and reside in White Plains. For every recess over this past year, did your .family fill up the SUV @ $50 a pop, plus the $15 or so for tolls to "ferry" you down there, when evidently you would have preferred to use the train?

Or have you your own auto?

"Back in my day" I usually got two trips a year in the "then family SUV" (they were called Station Wagons, lest we forget) bwtween school "in the Berkshires" and home in Fairfield County; otherwise it was the "Freedom/Prison (depending on direction of travel) Train" aka New Haven 141-144 "The Berkshire"..

Please take this posting "in jest" glad you have had the opportunity again to enjoy in what you obviously have have great interest.

With Respect

GBN
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by AEM7Fan

Anyone else board an Amtrak train this week?
I just did today. I took the Pennsylvanian out of Lancaster and into Harrisburg. We came back on a Keystone. The ride was nice. On the way back, we were supposed to meet another Keystone somewhere between Middletown and Elizabethtown. Instead, we met it at Lancaster. My guess was that it was waiting for us to clear the eastbound track because there is work being done on the westbound between Lancaster and just west of E-Town. Does anyone have info. on this train? My train was the 2:55 out of Harrisburg.

by JFB

In Kyles "mock" defense, White Plains - Philly is easily, albeit more slowly, accomplished by commuter rail. No SUV or other road vehicle needed.

Metro North WP > GCT; NJ Transit NYP > Trenton; SEPTA Trenton > Philly.

Nevertheless, welcome (back) aboard Amtrak.

by trainfreak

Are Amtrak rides really that fun? It seems like im missing out because i myself have never taken a ride on an Amtrak train. I guess its because of my location and there is no Amtrak service near by me but i have ridden NJT and MN.
  by mlrr

Gilbert B Norman wrote:I must wonder. Mr. Kyle, how you went a year?

From what I can determine, you go to school in West Phila (UPenn, Drexel) and reside in White Plains. For every recess over this past year, did your .family fill up the SUV @ $50 a pop, plus the $15 or so for tolls to "ferry" you down there, when evidently you would have preferred to use the train?

Or have you your own auto?

"Back in my day" I usually got two trips a year in the "then family SUV" (they were called Station Wagons, lest we forget) bwtween school "in the Berkshires" and home in Fairfield County; otherwise it was the "Freedom/Prison (depending on direction of travel) Train" aka New Haven 141-144 "The Berkshire"..

Please take this posting "in jest" glad you have had the opportunity again to enjoy in what you obviously have have great interest.

With Respect

GBN
I'm on Drexel's co-op program (Fall/Winter Cycle). That means I'm in school for the spring term which ends today actually (technically tomorrow) and the summer term. In between the terms, I have a week off and rather than transport all that stuff I just take the train up. There's always other options of getting to White Plains (SEPTA, NJT NYCT and Metro-North), but being the Amtrak enthusiast that I am, I opt for the Amtrak ride and I get off in STM, my parents meet me there and we take I95 to 287 and I'm home. I could get off in New Rochelle, but there are more options as more trains seem to stop at Stamford and it takes the same time to get to both from our house.

The only time my parents really come down to pick me up is when I'm heading home for co-op. And drop me off when I'm going back to school. All other times (I look at those more as opportunities, lol), I take the train (Amtrak), my parents also look at it as a "treat" for me, lol. I will be getting my own auto soon, but with that also means less opportunities to take the train :( , lol.

I feel you with the Prison/Freedom Train analogy. That's a great way to put it 'cause I feel the same way, lol.

hey, trainfreak, it all depends on how much you love train travel or travel in general. If you really want to ride an Amtrak train, then I'm sure the excitement alone will make your trip pleasant. My grandmother had me excited about Amtrak rides before I got on my first Amtrak train (Train #41, the Broadway Limited NYC-CHI, Feb. 1994) and I enjoyed it from the start.

JFB, thanks for "mock" defense, lol. It's true that the commute is a bit slower. Plus it requires that you constantly get up and walk around with all that baggage. I usually cary a rolling suitcase, a bookbag that is stuffed to capacity and my saxophone(s). The biggest challenge is making my way through the subway with all that stuff, lol.

by mattfels

Are Amtrak rides really that fun?
"Fun" may not be the right way to think about it. The proportion of Amtrak passengers who are riding strictly for kicks or a cruise-style experience is very small. Instead, take our leadoff correspondent. Why does he ride Amtrak?

First--and most important--because he has somewhere to go. When Amtrak offers the best combination of comfort and convenience for his money and time, he chooses Amtrak.

The advice I give prospective first-time Amtrak travelers sounds a little backwards, but I believe it to be sound: Start with the destination. Find yourself a place to go--somewhere fairly close--and a reason to go there. Then check the timetables and see if you can make the train work.

by trainfreak

Well as soon as i can drive and get a job im planning on saving my money and taking a small 2-3 trip. I would like to ride the Acela sometime eigther to Boston or Washington from NYC. It seems like a very nice way to travel in comfort. And when ever i do take that trip i will post how i thought about it on here.

by ggardei

I will be taking the downeaster from Haverhill MA to Boston North Station and then the LSL from Boston South Station to Albany/Renssealiar on the 24th of this month. and on the 5th of July I will be taking the Empire Service from Albany/Renssealiar to NY, NY and then the Regional from NY, NY to Boston, and then the Downeaster from Boston to Haverhill MA.

by Greg Moore

I was one that road the train this week.

In fact woke up 30 minutes late and still made my 5:10 train. Amazing!

Had some slow orders partway down to NYP. There's areas where the track is cut out from the cliff and after severe rainstorms they have to go slow in case there are rocks on the track.

Even so, was only about 15 minutes late.

Trip home was uneventful.

As for Mr. Fels advice, I'd agree.

Routinely when I discover I have to go someplace (business or pleasure) I first stop at Amtrak's site to see if I can use the train.

My trip to Georgia was a good example. I was going to have to drive 16 hours or so.. or fly to Atlanta... or take the train. The train was the cheapest, as fast as driving, but I got to sleep, relax, read, etc.
  by Noel Weaver

In my opinion, there are a number of Amtrak routes especially in the
north east that can well be fun and very enjoyable to ride.
For starters, from New York:
The ride to Boston is great, Hell Gate Bridge gives a great view of the
Manhattan skyline, Metro-North with its very heavy traffic and the scenic
shoreline of Connecticut all behind smooth, swift electric power.
The ride from New York to Albany is probably the most scenic one day
trip possible, be sure to sit on the left going north, as a bonus, you will
be following the CSX River Line across the river for about 40 miles and
there is a good chance to see some more railroad action there too.
New York to Washington, kind of blah except for lots of train action and a
good look at big cities, might see some trolley cars around Philadelphia,
Susquehanna River Bridge in Perryville is probably the most scenic spot
you will find on this route..
The Downeaster from Boston to Portland, a historic route of much interest
and well worth riding, quite scenic too.
For longer trips consider:
New York to Montreal, requires at least one night over, probably the most
scenic daily route in the northeast and very much on your list, especially
if you are not in a big hurry, convenient schedule in both directions.
Rutland and also Niagara Falls are also good alternatives from the above
trips, plenty of train action too.
Philadelphia to Harrisburg and Pittsburg, off at Harrisburg if you want a one day trip, lots of train action especially west of Harrisburg. You start
off in the mostly decent main line suburbs and go through many farms
while in the Pennsylvania Dutch Country and the scenery becomes more
outstanding after you get west of Harrisburg.
Another great circle trip would be to go to Albany on 63, ride 448 to
Boston and back through New Haven, check on 448 before starting out on
this one, if it is really late it might not work out.
Some commuter lines well worth riding include:
Metro-North to Wassaic and also Waterbury and Danbury branches, it is
probably possible to do all of this in one good long day. Grand Central is
kind of drab but the branches make the trip worth while.
New Jersey Transit/Metro North to Port Jervis, very scenic for a commuter
line and will take most of a day.
Long Island to Montauk, good weekend service especially in the summer
and an interesting and scenic ride, the best of the L.I.R.R. Several trains
to choose from too.
Loads of interesting trains to ride, you could probably keep busy for quite
a long time getting this done.
Enjoy
Noel Weaver

by LI Loco

I'd add the LIRR's Greenport line to your list, Noel. The action picks up east of Yaphank as you travel through the Pine Barrens, alongside the ponds on the Peconic River and past dozens of vineyards and farms before reaching Greenport. Only downside is typically only 2 trains a day each way and west of Yaphank it's pretty blah.

by boyishcolt

nice to see you again Kyle :D

by Peter E

I use Amtrak frequently for business and in fact this week will see my on my favorite # 56 (Vermonter) for a quick trip to Wilmington for a meeting. Returning home--since I have a return government ticket--I'll be back on board Saturday morning bound for Philly and a friend's party in Haverford.

Just this year alone I've logged nine trips on Amtrak for business and more than likely there will be others. Overall, these have been positive and certainly more relaxing than driving. (As I write they're reporting a major tie up on southbound I-95 in Beltsville MD). As for flying outrageously expensive from DCA to many points.

by mlrr

Sorry I've been away for a while, but I had no internet for a while. Just to update everyone, I also took train 95 and 194 a week ago for the last to portions of my trip. The experience on train 95 to me was enjoyable but would've been more enjoyable if we didn't have so many delays on CSX's line. The high temperatures reduced our track speed for fear of track buckling. Plus the dispatchers for CSX kept giving us a stop signal. It started to get to me after a while but being a die hard Amtrak fan I was able to ride it out (pardon the pun, lol). I saw the combined Silver Service train pull in beside us at Richmond, VA. there were 4 viewliners, two diners, a lounge car and the rest were Amfleet IIs.

The experience on 194 went well. Despite a late departure, we made good time and hardly ever received any stop signals.

Overall it was a great trip and as always I'm looking forward to the next one. I'll see what photos I can post on this board when I get a chance.