• Interlocking Name Where NJT Joins the NEC?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by train2

What is the name of the interlocking where eastbound NJT trains from Newark Broad station climb up the ramp and join the NEC? This is technically a Amtk interlocking but thought folks here might know the answer?

And what is the geographic name of town, city, location of this interlocking?

MODERATOR'S NOTE: Fixed the thread title.
  by Amtrak7

SWIFT interlocking in Kearny, NJ.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...
  by ExCon90

SWIFT is the name--I'm not sure which municipality--and now that it's been brought up, I've sometimes wondered about the derivation of the name SWIFT. Anybody know? (I've been trying to think whether there was ever a meat-packing plant of that name around there, but I don't know of one.)
  by Zeke

When they were installing the interlocking one of the Amtrak rules examiners told me Swift meatpackers had a plant there way back in the Lackawanna days. I believe that location is in Kearney, NJ.
  by ExCon90

Now I'm getting curious about the coordination between Amtrak and NJT. How much advance notice does Amtrak get that an eastbound NJT is approaching SWIFT, and in what form; and how much advance notice does NJT get that one of their westbounds is approaching KEARNY JCT, and in what form?
  by sullivan1985

ExCon90 wrote:Now I'm getting curious about the coordination between Amtrak and NJT. How much advance notice does Amtrak get that an eastbound NJT is approaching SWIFT, and in what form; and how much advance notice does NJT get that one of their westbounds is approaching KEARNY JCT, and in what form?
Both tracks on the connection are long enough to hold at least two 10-car trains stacked up on each other. Both Amtrak and NJT have Tracks 5 and 6 on their boards and can see when trains are waiting for a light. If the host railroad isn't ready to accept them, then they wait. Not sure of Amtrak, but NJT's dispatching software shows a lineup above each track that comes from a main track not controlled by that particular dispatcher. Those lineups show moves in a que and their scheduled time that they should appear on which tracks. Of course when the railroad falls apart and everything is out of whack that aren't much to go by.
  by mvb119

Amtrak's Section A dispatcher has indication for Kearny Jct. That is they can see the entire interlocking plus the connection so they have a good idea of when and where the train will be as the train is approaching Swift. And I am sure NJT's dispatchers are able to see Swift Interlocking as well, but don't quote me on that. A similar situation exists for CETC9 on the North Jersey Coast Line where both Graw and Wood Interlockings are visible on their screen strictly for indication as the trains approach Union.
  by sullivan1985

mvb119 wrote:Amtrak's Section A dispatcher has indication for Kearny Jct. That is they can see the entire interlocking plus the connection so they have a good idea of when and where the train will be as the train is approaching Swift. And I am sure NJT's dispatchers are able to see Swift Interlocking as well, but don't quote me on that. A similar situation exists for CETC9 on the North Jersey Coast Line where both Graw and Wood Interlockings are visible on their screen strictly for indication as the trains approach Union.
They can see SWIFT, but not on the Morristown Line boards. They only show the connectors. SWIFT is shown on the NEC board.