• Integrated Transportation Solutions — CarFree Maine

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by gokeefe

Recent private discussions with another member of the forums have centered around an intiative that proposes to coordiante mass and micro transit in rural areas. Brunswick, ME is the expected to be the pilot site for the project.

The project seeks to leverage existing infrastructure and geo social networking to coordinate mass and micro transportation solutions in a rural area. Part of the initiative focuses on getting mass transit real time data coordinated with micro transportation options through a single source portal/application. Other parts of the project examine the possibility of creating new micro transit solutions that are leveraged by broad based availability of real time data.

Here are some examples of what's being discussed and why.

1. The Brunswick, ME area is expected to see its first service from the Downeaster next year. The arrival of the train will strengthen intercity transportation links between Brunswick, ME, coastal Maine, New Hampshire and Boston, MA. Boston, MA serves as a regional transportation hub with national and international transportation options.

In support of the arrival of the Downeaster A number of initiatives in Brunswick, ME have been undertaken that have greatly improved local "car free" options in particular the new Brunswick Explorer system and the growing Zip Car fleet based out of Bowdoin College.

2. The surrounding areas of Brunswick are, like much of Maine, lightly populated. Although relative densities are certainly higher than wilderness areas the populations of year round residents are relatively small with large influxes of seasonal residents in the late spring through the late fall.

The residents of these areas are in effect 'captive' to the car-based economy. Short of abandoning their homesteads in these areas, many of whom date back to the original European settlers in that area in the late 1600's, residents are faced with continued escalations in transportation costs with no long term prospects for alleviation in the privately owned market passenger transportation market.

3. Current passenger transportation options are largely car based with some Community Action Programs running services in Maine's mid sized towns and cities. With very few exceptions small towns in Maine have little if any passenger transportation other than privately owned vehicles.

4. Historical transportation patterns to include previously operated ferries, interurban electric traction railroads and other forms of non-road dependent transportation existed in rural areas of Maine but were largely swept away by the advent of mass-produced automobiles and low cost fuel.

Although fuel costs can be highly volatile and difficult to predict there is no expectation at this time that over the long term fuel will return to the generally low cost seen during the 1950's-1970's on an inflation adjusted basis. This long term prognosis and its widely held understanding in the collective consciousness may form the basis for a willingness or an interest in cultural change by members of the public.

5. In some very limited cases so-called "micro transit" options might provide a more efficient solution for specific cases of passengers. Some examples include coordianted car-sharing and ferries from peninsular areas which currently have no other means of passenger conveyance aside from privately owned vehicles.

6. Current technologies specifically GPS based tracking systems, internet based social networking and the ubiquity of relatively inexpensive web capable smart phones may have allowed for the creation of "transit" through the collection, and broadcasting of real time high quality transportation information. Furthermore internet based social networking may have created a means to coordinate previously unknown third parties with a means of transportation.

The topic is being raised here for discussion in an attempt to continue to discuss and formulate the idea on a broad basis and to seek solutions that assist in further integration. Specific technical challenges that have arisen include difficulties in obtaining Amtrak's real time train data on an open source basis.

To be clear the Downeaster is likely at the very heart of how this system will be able to work. It serves as the mass transit backbone for the broader system. While the project certainly isn't expected to see any kind of immediate and broad based adoption it is felt that this project may form the basis for the beginning of the creation of an entirely new means to coordinate transit in areas with lower population densities. In effect lowering the density threshold at which transit solutions can be implemented without the higher capital costs of transit solutions that are typically intended for higher density locations.
  by RRBUFF

To futher this discussion, Acadian Bus Lines recently cancelled the bus to Bangor from Canada Maritimes as some times the only person on the bus was the driver. There is no connection from New England to the Canadian Maritimes unless you take a train south and enter through Montreal. Washington County has West Transportation from Calais to Bangor via route 1. There are local vans that can be used to get to Calais or Machias. We are a automobile driven people.
  by Cowford

"The residents of these areas are in effect 'captive' to the car-based economy. Short of abandoning their homesteads in these areas, many of whom date back to the original European settlers in that area in the late 1600's, residents are faced with continued escalations in transportation costs with no long term prospects for alleviation in the privately owned market passenger transportation market."

There's an interesting hypocrisy here in view of the general sentiment regarding the DE issue with home owners on Bouchard St in Brunswick. For the Brunswick homesteaders, the attitude is: "You chose to live where you live... next to a rail yard; suck it up." But for the "homesteaders" in East Bumcookie, the attitude I'm reading here is: "You have no choice to be living where you live. Let us subsidize your transportation."

Also, per AAA, automobile ownership/operations cost the 2011 equivalent of 84 cents/mile in 1950. Auto ownership and operations costs, in common with all other transport modes, have DECLINED markedly in last last decades. And fuel? I remember buying my first tank of gas in the late 70's... paying $1.12/gal to fill my 15mpg truck. That's equivalent to about $3.60/gal today. Add to that greater fuel economy, and again, costs have come down.

"...improved local "car free" options in particular the new Brunswick Explorer system and the growing Zip Car fleet based out of Bowdoin College."

The operative word in Zip Car is "car". It is not a car-free option. Rather, it's a car pooling option that spreads car ownership costs over multiple users. (It does have the collateral benefit of having drivers behave more efficiently by bundling trips for running errands.) But you need a core-set of users to gain that efficiency, and a car storage location that is walkable for target users.

For better or worse, automobiles remain the most efficient/flexible mode of transport in rural areas.
  by gokeefe

Cowford wrote:
gokeefe wrote:The residents of these areas are in effect 'captive' to the car-based economy. Short of abandoning their homesteads in these areas, many of whom date back to the original European settlers in that area in the late 1600's, residents are faced with continued escalations in transportation costs with no long term prospects for alleviation in the privately owned market passenger transportation market.
There's an interesting hypocrisy here in view of the general sentiment regarding the DE issue with home owners on Bouchard St in Brunswick. For the Brunswick homesteaders, the attitude is: "You chose to live where you live... next to a rail yard; suck it up." But for the "homesteaders" in East Bumcookie, the attitude I'm reading here is: "You have no choice to be living where you live. Let us subsidize your transportation."
Avoiding subsidies and expensive capital projects is in part the point of the entire project. We are seeking to offer an application that allows people to find rides and other solutions to transportation problems in a rural or semi-rural area. In regards to the questions of hypocrisy I would state the following: I do not believe that the people in the area of Bouchard Drive should simply accept the rail facility without any conditions. Negotiating mitigation and compensation measures is a very good idea. So "suck it up" in my opinion does not apply. I do however think it is utterly pointless for them to try and alter a course of events using legal or political means that have no standing or possibility of success. They had so much more leverage prior to becoming hostile and confronting NNEPRA. I think many people sympathized with their situation and understood their concerns about noise, fumes and ultimately property values. Frankly, I still do, their neighborhood is changing in a way that many of them do not like. However, the solution to this problem was not to use legal or political means to merely express anger and frustration. That doesn't fix anything, doesn't reduce noise, doesn't reduce fumes, doesn't get special or extra mitigation and certainly doesn't allow for possible direct financial compensation even if only on a nominal basis.

In regards to the rural areas we see an opportunity to develop transportation solutions using available and developing technologies that may help answer some of the most fundamental questions of daily life, "How do I get to my job?, How do I get to the doctor?, Do I have to own a car?, Can I save some money on transportation?"
Cowford wrote:Also, per AAA, automobile ownership/operations cost the 2011 equivalent of 84 cents/mile in 1950. Auto ownership and operations costs, in common with all other transport modes, have DECLINED markedly in last last decades. And fuel? I remember buying my first tank of gas in the late 70's... paying $1.12/gal to fill my 15mpg truck. That's equivalent to about $3.60/gal today. Add to that greater fuel economy, and again, costs have come down.
We agree entirely with the efficiency of the car in many situations which is why in many cases we're trying to develop applications that assist ride sharing by car. Although I have no issue with the statistics in a general sense I have yet to meet anyone who feels that driving a car in rural Maine is inexpensive. There are other reasons why this might be the case to include increases in energy costs for home heating, declines in personal income and increases in the cost of health care to name just a few. I don't think we necessarily understand the exact macro economics of why its so expensive to live in rural areas we're just trying to provide a potential answer to how one can live in these areas and save some money.
Cowford wrote:
gokeefe wrote:...improved local "car free" options in particular the new Brunswick Explorer system and the growing Zip Car fleet based out of Bowdoin College.
The operative word in Zip Car is "car". It is not a car-free option. Rather, it's a car pooling option that spreads car ownership costs over multiple users. (It does have the collateral benefit of having drivers behave more efficiently by bundling trips for running errands.) But you need a core-set of users to gain that efficiency, and a car storage location that is walkable for target users.

For better or worse, automobiles remain the most efficient/flexible mode of transport in rural areas.
CarFree in of itself doesn't mean not using cars but sometimes for some people it might mean being able to live without owning a car, even if you do use car-sharing services from time to time. CarFree for some people might simply mean having occasional access to transportation other than their own privately owned vehicle for certain trips to certain destinations. We believe that access to intercity transportation in semi-rural areas of Maine, to include the Downeaster in conjunction with the bus and local shuttle has opened up an opportunity for an attempt at further development of integrated transportation solutions.
  by Cowford

First, let me say that in reading my first post, using the word "hypocrisy" sounds harsh - certainly no offense meant. Ok, back to the issues...

I'm curious to know what services CarFree Maine support/advocates. Here in Chicago, you can now txt or go on the internet to get latest bus/train arrival times by route/station, etc - very handy when it's raining or blowing sub-zero winds. I use this all the time in making "taxi or bus?" decisions. Of course, tracking value increases as service frequency decreases. I suppose social networking can be used for car-pool participant matching.

"Although I have no issue with the statistics in a general sense I have yet to meet anyone who feels that driving a car in rural Maine is inexpensive... I don't think we necessarily understand the exact macro economics of why its so expensive to live in rural areas..."

This reminds me of a comment often made about the current commercial truck driver shortage: "The industry does not suffer a driver shortage, it suffers a pay shortage." Unfortunately for its residents, rural Maine is not known being a wellspring of financially rewarding jobs, paper mills generally excluded.

Some personal viewpoints on Zip Car. Awesome concept, limited applicability in Maine. First, Zip Car's pricing structure (that I've reviewed in the past) is geared toward 1-4 hr rentals and has mileage caps. Start going much over that window, and it's cheaper to rent from the likes of Avis. That lends itself to local errands, the docs, maybe a dinner, etc. The other issue is that you gotta get to the car, and then get home after you drop it off. That lends itself to more urban areas which have walkable communities and they have to widely distributed, near to people for them to be used. (There are ~50 (!) Zip Car locations within a mile of my home.) Finally, the cars need to be used, so there needs to be a critical mass of users. This all points to it being a more urban-oriented solution (universities being a notable exception, due to their geographic and demographic concentration of non-car owner drivers).
Last edited by Cowford on Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by gokeefe

Cowford wrote:I'm curious to know what services CarFree Maine support/advocates.
The website for CarFree Maine has now launched.
  by Cowford

Again, not trying to take away from their mission... but I was expecting this as a tool to enhance transportation options for rural Maine residents. It's presented not as that, but as a way for hipster urban dwellers to tour about Maine without a car. (This would not work well for Maine's significant [and growing] senior citizen demographic segment.)

Their site is a little lacking... and any organization that permits an expletive on its home page, even if a link, loses credibility instantaneously.

So I found their "full pitch" deck...

Objective: Enhance non-automotive options in the state of Maine (slide 2)
Target market: Gen Ys and Gen Xs in metro Boston and NY (also slide 2)
Premise (to exploit): People are moving to urban areas (slide 3)
Misstatement: "Nearly 500,000 people took the train between Portland and Boston..." (slide 7... assuming each passenger rides round-trip, it's closer to 75,000)

Curious as to why they use DE as a linch pin.
  by kilroy

Maybe the youth up there are different from their parents and grand parents and will buy into the inconvenience of mass transit/car sharing. Pleny of the islanders I know up there don't want to be told what to do, when to do it or where to do it. They're an independent bunch and they "ain't gunna take to no highlanda tellin' me when and whaya I can drive."

Good luck Gokeefe but that's a tough bunch up there.
  by gokeefe

First off, thank you for the feedback. I've addressed some concerns directly to "the management".

Second, I was mistaken about the launch. The current site is still the development blog. I'll provide more information on that when the launch does happen.

There are two other important sources of information for this project. The Facebook page and the Twitter feed @carfreemaine.
  by gokeefe

Cross posted from the Long/Medium Distance Maine Amtrak Service thread:
gokeefe wrote:In what can only be described as a near stunning turn of events the Chairman of TrainRiders Northeast laid down a public marker for its future plans for train service to Maine in an interview conducted at the newly opened Brunswick passenger railroad station.

While passenger rail advocates celebrated the ceremonial ribbon cutting at the Freeport and Brunswick station Wayne Davis gave an interview to CarFree Maine in which he discussed advocacy of one-seat train service from Maine and New Hampshire to New York City while standing on the steps of the very platform he advocated for so many years.

CarFree Maine has posted a visual depiction of the route described by Mr. Davis for reference here.