• INRD Santa Train

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

by Arborwayfan

I took my two kids down to Dugger to see the INRD Santa Train on Saturday. In Dugger they stopped across the old main street, and used the blocked street for a kind of mini street fair with an odd bunch of costumed characters. (Does Shrek have anything to do with Christmas or railroads?) You walk through one coach with your kids, who get to see Santa and get an op lifesaver coloring book. On our way into dugger we passed the rusted out Amtrak Turbo Train in a scrapyard that someone asked about months ago on this forum. It was pretty surprising to see that loom up by the side of road.
They didn't run up to Terre Haute, where we live; they did go up the ex CP to Jasonville, but the Dugger time fit our schedule better. I wonder if they ever will, or if writing to suggest it would be useful. Does anyone have any idea about whether they've ever run fan trips, and whether they're likely to in the future for some RR historical society or some such? (I know they hosted one of those classy private car tours a few months ago; I saw it run through TH; I was thinking of something shorter and cheaper in their own coaches.
Does anyone know the history of the INRD's coaches 1 and 3? They looked like heavyweights from the 1930s or so (riveted painted steel outside, art-deco steal luggage racks and window frames inside); #1 seemed to have had new seats put in much more recently, 2 on one side and 3 on the other commuter coach seats.