• Information please- MBTA and MBCR?

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by jg greenwood

Please educate an ignorant mid-westerner. The MBTA and the MBCR, one in the same? Two different web-sites, help please.

by iandavid

I'm probably not the most knowledgeable person to answer this, but I can take a stab:

The MBTA runs subway, bus, and commuter rail service in Metro Boston and Eastern Massachusetts. MBCR is the contractor that runs the commuter rail service. They took the contract over from Amtrak a little over a year ago.

Like I said, I'm sure someone else here can provide a much more detailed description than that. But there are the basics.

by jg greenwood

iandavid wrote:I'm probably not the most knowledgeable person to answer this, but I can take a stab:

The MBTA runs subway, bus, and commuter rail service in Metro Boston and Eastern Massachusetts. MBCR is the contractor that runs the commuter rail service. They took the contract over from Amtrak a little over a year ago.

Like I said, I'm sure someone else here can provide a much more detailed description than that. But there are the basics.
Thank you!

by AEM7AC920

iandavid wrote:I'm probably not the most knowledgeable person to answer this, but I can take a stab:

That sounds good to me!

by CRail

Thats pretty much it. The Commuter Rail is operated by MBCR. They fund it, staff it, and manage it. All the T does for the Commuter Rail is own it. (and place the blame for any problems on MBCR) Although they are getting paid approx $200,000,000 annually i believe, correct me if im wrong, but thats what Amtrak was getting for the contract when they gave it up.

by jg greenwood

CRail wrote:Thats pretty much it. The Commuter Rail is operated by MBCR. They fund it, staff it, and manage it. All the T does for the Commuter Rail is own it. (and place the blame for any problems on MBCR) Although they are getting paid approx $200,000,000 annually i believe, correct me if im wrong, but thats what Amtrak was getting for the contract when they gave it up.
Amtrak "gave" it up, voluntarily?

by SnoozerZ49

Amtrak chose not to bid on the contract given some of the provisions. I believe it is the same rationale that Amtrak used when withdrawing from the MetroLink bidding process in California. As I understand it the transit agencies are looking for the contractor to assume a level of liability that Amtrak was unwilling or unable to accept.

Time will tell whether MBCR submitted a viable option to Amtrak for the MBTA. There was so much mud slinging by the MBTA towards the end of its agreement with Amtrak that it was hard to distinguish fact from fiction.

I'd say the average commuter has seen no improvement in service under the present contractor.

by jg greenwood

SnoozerZ49 wrote:Amtrak chose not to bid on the contract given some of the provisions. I believe it is the same rationale that Amtrak used when withdrawing from the MetroLink bidding process in California. As I understand it the transit agencies are looking for the contractor to assume a level of liability that Amtrak was unwilling or unable to accept.

Time will tell whether MBCR submitted a viable option to Amtrak for the MBTA. There was so much mud slinging by the MBTA towards the end of its agreement with Amtrak that it was hard to distinguish fact from fiction.

I'd say the average commuter has seen no improvement in service under the present contractor.
Would you also say there's been no decline in service with the MBCR?

by iandavid

CRail wrote:Thats pretty much it. The Commuter Rail is operated by MBCR. They fund it, staff it, and manage it. All the T does for the Commuter Rail is own it. (and place the blame for any problems on MBCR) Although they are getting paid approx $200,000,000 annually i believe, correct me if im wrong, but thats what Amtrak was getting for the contract when they gave it up.
Now that's the kind of answer I was hoping to hear.
jg greenwood wrote:Would you also say there's been no decline in service with the MBCR?
I could agree with that. Although I'm not a daily rider. I just use the NEC to get back home to Providence on the holidays. Also, lately I've been taking Amtrak a lot even though it's more expensive, because (yep, you guessed it) it goes all the way to Providence on the weekends, whereas the T only goes as far as S. Attleboro.

by Ron Newman

I've seen no difference in service -- neither worse nor better. I think many of the same people are employed, too.

by ST214

I've seen a difference. More BO cars, shorter trains, no trash receptacles(Due to "heightened security measures")

by SnoozerZ49

No

by CSX Conductor

The funding comes from the money alotted in the contract w/ the MBTA.

Amtrak pretty much hd no shot at retaining the contract, the T prttmuch wanted anybody else but Amtrak.

by ST214

SnoozerZ49 wrote:No

??????????????????????????????????

by SnoozerZ49

yup, that's right, no to the previosly asked question