Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by RC '75

Hi,

Does anyone know the definitions and/or meanings of the exterior and interior indicator lights on the M1, M3, M7 & C3 cars? I was not able to print the information off of the old board in time.

Thanks to all.....
Last edited by RC '75 on Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

by DutchRailnut

you mean indicator lights, Marker lights are those big red ones at end of train.
Blue or White = ATC in forward mode (cut in)
Orange = Brakes applied
Green = Brakes released
Red or Yellow blinking at end of car= Handbrake applied
Red ones over door = Door open
  by N340SG

If the picture doesn't load:
http://members.aol.com/N340SG/m703lr.jpg

You can see that this car is the controlling car by the fact that the blue ATC light is on. On the M-7 the blue light is on only when that car is controlling. Contrast that to M-1/M-3 where the blue light is on any time the ATC is merely cut in.
You know the brakes are applied in this car because the yellow light is on.
Above the yellow light is the green indicator for brakes released in this car. [Trainline brake release and brake applied lights are on the TOD (Train Operator's Display) in the cab.]
Below the application and release lights, you have a white light that would signify that the trainman is operating the doors from that door station,
and a red light that would blink on and off if a parking brake was applied in this car.
  by RC '75

Hi,

Thanks for that info. Also, does anyone know what the lights represent on the C3's? I have seen two separate rows of lights. From top to bottom, I think one row by the doors are (blue or green, amber, red, white and maybe another green?) The other row by the cab window has (red, white & amber?)

Thanks to all...
Last edited by RC '75 on Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by N340SG

If the image doesn't load:
http://members.aol.com/N340SG/m7todcdp2.jpg

Sorry about the poor picture. You know dad gets the crappiest camera to use. I'll borrow one of the kids' cameras and do better.

The panel to the left is the CDP- Central Diagnostics Panel.
It displays status of doors, brakes, etc., in the entire train.
You can also turn on or off the fluorescent lights anywhere in the train, control the HVAC in the train, set up the automatic station announcements, look up faults that occur anywhere in the train, etc., etc., etc. This is a touch screen panel.
The panel to the right is the TOD-Train Operator's Display.
This shows train speed, status of ATC system, trainline brake application, trainline brake release, door light, brake pipe, etc. This is not a touch screen panel.
Between the CDP and TOD panels are your ATC aspects.
Note that if one of the panels fails enroute, a switch can be thrown to make the remaining, functioning panel perform both screens' functions.

by N340SG

RC '75,

I defer C-3 questions to others. I've been in EMU territory for 17 years.
I've never worked on the C-3, and have only ridden in them about 3 times, including yesterday. The car had a weird smell, like moldy plastic :(

Tom

by SeldenJrFireman

What cab is that pic from?

by N340SG

IIRC, I took both pics the same day, so the cab is likely that of 7164.

Tom
  by RC '75

Hi,

I once remember reading about the indicator lights inside the M7's. I think above the doors are, "red" for doors closing and "white" for mechanical door failure? Is this correct? Also looking at pictures, it looks light 3 more exterior indicator lights exist by the doors. Are these door lights too?

Thanks to all...
  by N340SG

RC '75,

From outside the car, the top red light, facing front of train to back of train, indicates that door is open. It faces that way so the train crew can see it from anywhere in the consist.
The red round light blinks on and off as a warning that the door is about to close. It blinks in conjunction with the Sonalert screechy thingy.
The amber round light would flash on and off if the door was disabled. It should have a label next to it stating as such.

All of these functions are duplicated inside the car.
Immediately above the door on the inside, on the stainless steel, is the red door closing warning light.
The amber light serves the function of telling you that door is disabled when it is flashing. It should also be labeled as such.
In more toward the center of the vestibule, protruding from the ceiling, are the red door open indicators, one for each side.
The white colored item near the door open light is actually not a light lens...it is a buzzer pushbutton for train crew use only.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by N340SG on Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by krispy

N340SG - Is that as in a Cessna 340? 340 sierra golf?

by N340SG

No, sir. Actually, it's 340 as in 1973 Plymouth Duster 340.
If/when I win the lottery, I'm buying a bunch of classic Mopars. :P
  by RC '75

N340SG,

That for all the great info as always...

by N340SG

RC '75,

Glad to help.
I can help you out with just about anything electrical on the M-1/M-3.

As to the M-7s, we are all on a learning curve. But as I like to say, they are the "same thing, only different." Anyway, since they are under warranty, we have no parts and have to wait for Bombardier to come and work on the M-7s when they are busted.

Tom
  by RC '75

Hi,

Does the red parking brake indicator light on the M-3's blink, or is it a steady light?

Thanks.....