• In Shift, Bloomberg Opposes Rail Tunnel

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by DogBert

I just read that the port authority of NY&NJ was created way back for the purpose of building this tunnel. It's in this article (which is a little dated. cross harbor doesn't still do MSW does it? what happened to that contract?)
http://newyorkmetro.com/nymetro/realest ... index.html

Car floating could make a bigger dent than it has, though CSX probably wouldn't want to bother anythin that might disturb the status quo 220 mile RT. of NJ to NYC work they get paid for now.

Is P&W still bound to only being able to move stone trains between NYA & new england? If not maybe they could pick up some cars, but the logistics of it... would it make any sense to change how ti's done now? would it save any time? make any money? Maybe in the long term, but i couldn't see that working out now. There'd have to be a major shipper that wanted it. Perhaps tilcon will need to get ballast to NJ some time...

A big problem so fas as I can tell is that the NYC EDC wanted cross harbor out of their facilities in brooklyn, and the politicos want to change that whole waterfront from a working one into a big park (as if by eliminating all the industrial neighborhoods the city will be a better place). Kinda hard to drum up business when the city is trying to evict you I'd imagine.