• I need tips on creating my first N-scale layout

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by jadebullet

I plan on creating a modern n-gage layout set in Colorado. I plan on using Rio Grande and BNSF engines and a mixed amount of mixed freight. I also plan on having an ALCO switcher for my rail yard.

I need websites where i can find both Rio Grande engines and BNSF engines.

I also need to know what a good brand of rolling stock engines and track would be.

I have limited space so i was wondering what good dementions would be.

Keep in mind that i this is my first layout and i have a limited budget

If you have any questions or just want to contact me directly my email address is [email protected]
I look forward to hearing from you guys and i'm open to suggestions

by jmp883

Welcome to N-gauge!

You made a great choice going with N. I was an HO-scaler for years and then lost the room for a layout. Went 3 or 4 years without a layout at all and finally decided to try N. I remember my cousins had N-gauge trains back in the 70's and they left a lot to be desired in terms of reliability, appearance, etc. What a tremendous wake-up call I had.

First of all, if you haven't already, get yourself the Walthers N-Scale Catalog. It is indispensible.

When it comes to locomotives, Atlas and Kato are your best choices, followed by Life-Like. Be advised that most locomotives are done in limited runs, however most hobby shops have most models in stock. If you can't find it in a hobby shop, try that old faithful: eBay. I've obtained several of my Erie Lackawanna engines from eBay. Also try:

www.caboosehobbies.com

In regard to rolling stock, Micro-Trains first and foremost. The only other rolling stock I use are from Atlas and Inter-Mountain. However there are some other quality suppliers listed in Walthers.

www.micro-trains.com

For track, Atlas or Peco. If you can, use Code 80 or the new Code 55. Much more prototypical looking. Also consider using flextrack vs. sectional track.

In terms of available dimensions, and since this is your first layout, you should look for two books from Atlas:

1) Intro To N-Scale Model Railroading
2) Nine N-Scale Railroads

Both offer basic information on building a layout and offer trackplans, complete with wiring diagrams. My layout is a modification of one of the plans in the 2nd book. Most of the layouts are compact, mine is built on a 60x32 hollow-core door.

Being on a budget is tough, especially with the limited-run nature of the locomotives, but you can do it.

Hope this information helped, click on the 'www' button at the bottom of this post to check out my layout. Maybe it will give you some inspiration!

Joe P :-D

by SRS125

here is a link that has Rostors from 1951 up to the end of the Southern Pacific Railroad. The SP was the parent owner of the Denver & Rio Grand Western.

http://espee.railfan.net/diesel_roster_index.html