• Hurricane sandy updates...

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by ThirdRail7

There's an 84 car detour train heading from Lane to Midway right now.
  by ThirdRail7

I intended to intercept and record this rare move, but he's gotten ahead of me. He's going by Lincoln right now. If anyone is in range, pictures and/or video of it diverging onto the Amboy Secondary would be greatly appreciated.
  by TAMR213

ThirdRail7 wrote:I intended to intercept and record this rare move, but he's gotten ahead of me. He's going by Lincoln right now. If anyone is in range, pictures and/or video of it diverging onto the Amboy Secondary would be greatly appreciated.
OI-8 West through Highland Park at 2:52, also just missed him. A standard cab NS engine on the point with standard cab CSX engine trailing today...

Interesting scanner listening has been the norm with this train, and today doesn't disappoint. OI-8 will be pulling west at MIDWAY in order for the SA-31 crew to pick up the cars and bring them back to Browns (heads up to anyone in Monmouth Jct, Jamesburg, Spotswood, etc). In addition, it sounds like the power of OI-8 will be heading back to LANE later on this evening for anyone back east along the NEC.
  by ThirdRail7

TAMR213 wrote:
ThirdRail7 wrote:I intended to intercept and record this rare move, but he's gotten ahead of me. He's going by Lincoln right now. If anyone is in range, pictures and/or video of it diverging onto the Amboy Secondary would be greatly appreciated.
OI-8 West through Highland Park at 2:52, also just missed him. A standard cab NS engine on the point with standard cab CSX engine trailing today...

Interesting scanner listening has been the norm with this train, and today doesn't disappoint. OI-8 will be pulling west at MIDWAY in order for the SA-31 crew to pick up the cars and bring them back to Browns (heads up to anyone in Monmouth Jct, Jamesburg, Spotswood, etc). In addition, it sounds like the power of OI-8 will be heading back to LANE later on this evening for anyone back east along the NEC.
The WPOI-8 had the NS3376, CSX8829 and CSX6315. I asked when they though he'd come back out. After all, the empties have to make their way from Browns Yard, right? No one had any idea. I have my spies in the field on high alert for the next Lane-Midway move. I had enough notice today, but still got caught with my pants down. :(

Does anyone know how the towns are handling this traffic? Are they complaining about their grade crossings being blocked or too much noise?
  by TAMR213

ThirdRail7 wrote:
TAMR213 wrote:

The WPOI-8 had the NS3376, CSX8829 and CSX6315. I asked when they though he'd come back out. After all, the empties have to make their way from Browns Yard, right? No one had any idea. I have my spies in the field on high alert for the next Lane-Midway move. I had enough notice today, but still got caught with my pants down. :(

Does anyone know how the towns are handling this traffic? Are they complaining about their grade crossings being blocked or too much noise?
Thats interesting, when they made their way through Highland Park, the CSX 6315 was absent. 3376 and 8829 headed back east light by around 4:30 the latest (through Highland Park). Not sure what it was, but I believe I heard the eastbound transfer (back to Oak Island) around 4:30 this morning (see earlier post in this thread).

As to that last question, I've been wondering this myself. With a town like Jamesburg that was so opposed to MOM, they must be thrilled about these 80 car freights haha...
  by wolfboy8171981

This train does not cross any grade crossing in Jamesburg. They might not even notice.

The only reason the trains are this big is becasue they are not running daily trains to/ from Browns. It's more like every other day.
  by TAMR213

wolfboy8171981 wrote:This train does not cross any grade crossing in Jamesburg. They might not even notice.

The only reason the trains are this big is becasue they are not running daily trains to/ from Browns. It's more like every other day.
This I know about Jamesburg, just used it as an example due to the towns past history with MOM, could easily be substituted for Helmetta, Spotswood, etc...

I noticed that about the trains, seems to go to Browns one day, to Oak Island the next etc... Thanks for the insight Wolf.
  by railroadcarmover

TAMR213 wrote:No idea what it was or what direction, but a VERY long and loud train with some throaty diesels just went through Highland Park, sounded possibly eastbound. Possibly the Browns transfer?
PR52 left Browns pulling 92 outbounds.
Pulled them on out on the NEC southbound at Midway and cut away from them.
OI32 left Oak Island at 1am and headed southbound on the NEC light. Coupled against the other end of the 92 cars on the NEC and pulled them back to OI. This was the train you heard them passing through Highland Park at 4:10am or so. The PR52 then went back out of Midway onto the line back to Browns light, once the OI32 went northbound.
Thanks to Wolfboy for the above info.

I find these moves at Midway to be quite fascinating with how the OI32 and the Browns yard jobs swap trains right on the NEC.

On NJT the track over the damaged bridge is back in service for NJT but there is a 10mph speed restriction and NO braking is allowed hence the reason no freights are allowed on the bridge for the time being. They will continue to run on the NEC to facilitate the transfers to and from Browns until the bridge issue is fixed.
  by TAMR213

Another loooong eastbound just went through at 0427 hrs.
  by TAMR213

OI-32 east at ISELIN.