Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by SecaucusJunction

We survived the storm, everyone! We did it!
  by Jtgshu

Getting back to railroading - some of the MLs that were flooded at the MMC are starting to come back and go back in service.
  by Thomas

2. If you look on the bright side after Superstorm Sandy, Amtrak has received money for a tunnel box (or a minimal segment of the new Gateway Project).
  by Jtgshu

But I think we should really try to at least try to get back to NJT and Sandy and try to keep this on topic - maybe a separate thread could be started or something for the political discussion - Yes, I know im guilty of contributing to the off topic discussion as well, but as you can imagine, its a bit of a hot button for me.....(going on 7.5 months out of my home with no end in sight....but hey, who's counting...)
  by Tadman

MOD NOTE: Guys, this is nowhere near the nexus of Sandy and NJT. Take this stuff to a political forum, please. PM myself or the others if you have topical info.
  by OportRailfan

Thanks Tadman!

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2013/0 ... rains.html

NJT is looking to store trains in Stiles Street yard, and a yard in Garwood(?) for the next catastrophic storm.
  by Don31

OportRailfan wrote:Thanks Tadman!

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2013/0 ... rains.html

NJT is looking to store trains in Stiles Street yard, and a yard in Garwood(?) for the next catastrophic storm.
Thats interesting. There is no yard in Garwood. If they mean the former CNJ yard on South Avenue in Cranford, its owned by a private developer who recently got approval from the courts to build a 163-unit apartment complex. This should get good.....
  by Sirsonic

They mean the Garwood Industrial Track which actually runs from Clark interlocking in Westfield to Cranford. A new connection to track 2 has been built just west of CP-Aldene.
  by Don31

Thanks for the claraification. I guess that explains all the MOW equipment thats been parked at South Avenue?
  by DutchRailnut

http://www.railwayage.com/index.php/pas ... channel=55" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Criticized for its response last fall to Super storm Sandy, and the resultant damage to much of its rolling stock, New Jersey Transit has responded by securing storage space at two locations adjacent to its rail system but in more flood-resistant interior portions of the state.

NJT has reached agreement with Conrail Shared Assets to utilize space at the former General Motors plant in Linden, N.J., adjacent to Amtrak's Northeast Corridor, and a site NJT has been eyeing for some time. A second location, in Garwood, N.J., would expand equipment storage at an existing yard off NJT's Raritan Valley Line.
  by 25Hz

Ok, i'm officially confused. I don't see any yard anywhere near that area, just main line tracks. Is this going to be a new storage track built along the current ROW or something??
  by srock1028

25Hz wrote:Ok, i'm officially confused. I don't see any yard anywhere near that area, just main line tracks. Is this going to be a new storage track built along the current ROW or something??
Read 3 posts above yours...
Sirsonic wrote:They mean the Garwood Industrial Track which actually runs from Clark interlocking in Westfield to Cranford. A new connection to track 2 has been built just west of CP-Aldene.
-NO BS
Last edited by srock1028 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Ken W2KB

25Hz wrote:Ok, i'm officially confused. I don't see any yard anywhere near that area, just main line tracks. Is this going to be a new storage track built along the current ROW or something??
The existing former CNJ mainline track, until recently only used for local freight service, that diverges from the active NJT tracks just east of Westfield station and extends several miles east on the south side to approximately across from the Aldene ramp to the Lehigh Line is what will be used. Recently NJT replaced many ties and built a crossover to the regular NJT track at close to the east end. A yard does not need more than one track to be a yard. It is the railroad designation of one or more tracks as a yard, including identifying the yard limits, that makes it a yard.
  by airman00

interesting... I didn't know there was such a thing as a one track yard. They mentioned something about a local freight though. I assume no more customers then?
  by Ken W2KB

airman00 wrote:interesting... I didn't know there was such a thing as a one track yard. They mentioned something about a local freight though. I assume no more customers then?
I believe the only customer on that segment was a company that got plastic pellet hoppers, at the east end of active track. Last I saw one on the company siding was well over a year ago, so don't think that there is any more freight. But always possible a customer could materialize, however unlikely.