• Hunter Harrison at CSX

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by Jeff Smith

All I can say is I never met a gain I didn't like...
  by Wayside

mmi16 wrote:The CSX Board is not doing its fiduciary duty by maintaining EHH at the controls.
I believe that falls into the category of remaining to be seen.
  by ExCon90

Wayside, I like that definition of fixed signal. Please tell us that it is not an actual answer submitted on a rules exam.
  by pumpers

Headline in the on-line Wall STreet Journal today:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/waiting-fo ... 1503417959" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.wsj.com/articles/waiting-fo ... 503417959

Here is the headline and first sentence fair-use quote. The rest is behind a paywall (But you get the idea...)
Trains in Vain: Epic CSX Traffic Jam Snarls Deliveries, From Coal to Fries
Changes pushed by new CEO at huge East Coast railroad cause summer of woe in supply chains at farms, mines, manufacturers
By Paul Ziobro
Aug. 22, 2017 12:06 p.m. ET
The freight-train ride from Chicago to Colesburg, Tenn., usually takes a few days. Earlier this month, though, the ride was 18 days, 13 hours and 57 minutes, logs show....
  by Wayside

ExCon90 wrote:Wayside, I like that definition of fixed signal. Please tell us that it is not an actual answer submitted on a rules exam.
It was offered up orally in class.
  by Wayside

My humble opinion is that CSX is in the process of bullying customers into shifting their priorities to fit the needs for the carrier's desired efficiency, which seems rather backwards to me.

Several years ago I had the unique opportunity to have a frank but brief conversation with the late Jim Young, who was then the CEO of Union Pacific. We were talking specifically about how much more efficient the CN operation was under EHH than the other Class I railroads. Mr. Young told me in no uncertain terms that his team had looked very closely at what CN was doing, and had made conscious decisions to find better ways to gain efficiency. He said that while UP did some picking and choosing between customers when necessary, they refused to dictate to customers how they would run their businesses, and wantonly exclude those who wouldn't knuckle under. He didn't use the word "bully" but I'm pretty sure that's what he meant.
  by ExCon90

Wayside wrote:
ExCon90 wrote:Wayside, I like that definition of fixed signal. Please tell us that it is not an actual answer submitted on a rules exam.
It was offered up orally in class.
I was afraid of that.
  by newpylong

The same thing happened to CP while under EHH. Those are us in New England, especially in the industry got to see what happened to the D&H. Operations were scaled back in such a way to meet the desired level of service and nothing more. Trains were abolished, combined, yards closed, and traffic lost. Now they don't even own the South End and the only real traffic going in and out of Albany is oil. Great success in their mind.
  by BR&P

Why not drive ALL the traffic away? Tear up ALL the tracks. No more taxes to pay, no more FELA claims, no more crews to pay, zero cost for diesel fuel, and the one-time income from all the scrap of infrastructure and equipment will send the P&L statement through the roof. Well, for a little while it will. :wink:
  by mmi16

Jeff Smith wrote:All I can say is I never met a gain I didn't like...
Gain today - bankruptcy tomorrow!
  by Jeff Smith

^^^!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by NRGeep

HH could be giving a short term gift to shareholders and a long term gift to NS and PAS.
  by Noel Weaver

Back in 1954 Pat McGinnis promised the stockholders of the New Haven Railroad dividends and lots more. How did they make out for listening to his bull****? Not very well and everything collapsed after that.
More of the same, maybe!!!
Noel Weaver