• Hudson, MA buggy

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Agent at Clicquot

... now sports a rail trail-themed herald. I noticed it tonite as I was out cycling amonst the rain drops and lighting bolts. The white lettering & trail-route graphic look nice against the blue of the caboose.

As I'll be using this hill as training ground for the 1.75% ruling grade west of Cumberland, MD., I'll bring my digital camera along on a future ride and get some pics.

In Marlboro, near the spot where the branch once ended, I noticed a 3-story wood frame, commercial building that was triangular in shape. The side opposite the rail trail was even sports a concave curve ... as if that side of the building once rated a siding.

* JB *

by ThinkNarrow

In terms of the Fitchburg RR / B&M, the branch did indeed end at Marlboro, but there was a two mile connection from Marlboro to the Old Colony / New Haven / Penn Central / Conrail "Agricultural Branch" at Marlboro Junction, which was south of Marlboro. According to Rail Lines of Southern New England by Ronald Dale Karr, "The two-mile Marlboro Branch was built in 1855, had passenger service until 1937, and was abandoned in 1966." The "Agricultural Branch" still exists.

-John