• HSR proposal Australia

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

by Passenger

How "green" is it?

The real question is how does Australia generate most it their electricity? Coal as in the USA?
  by David Benton

pretty much all coal i believe . though they do have a good subsidy scheme for solar , i would think its only scratching the surface .
  by george matthews

David Benton wrote:pretty much all coal i believe . though they do have a good subsidy scheme for solar , i would think its only scratching the surface .
I think Australia should be the leader in developing all forms of solar. They are the only "developed" country with ample solar input.
  by goodnightjohnwayne

george matthews wrote:
David Benton wrote:pretty much all coal i believe . though they do have a good subsidy scheme for solar , i would think its only scratching the surface .
I think Australia should be the leader in developing all forms of solar. They are the only "developed" country with ample solar input.
I'm inclined to say that Australia is better positioned to become the world's leader in consumption of kangaroo meat than a leader in solar power, which is something of a technological dead end. Australia is first and foremost of a supplier of natural resources to the more populous and developed Asian countries to the north.
  by goodnightjohnwayne

Passenger wrote:How "green" is it?

The real question is how does Australia generate most it their electricity? Coal as in the USA?
Australia is a major exporter of coal to China. Basically, Australia is an exporter of natural resources, since the wage scales are far too high for manufacturing and the population is too small and not diverse enough to form the basis of a broader economy. If you factor in the environmental consequences of Australia's exports, Australia is far from green.
  by george matthews

Australia is a major exporter of coal to China. Basically, Australia is an exporter of natural resources, since the wage scales are far too high for manufacturing and the population is too small and not diverse enough to form the basis of a broader economy. If you factor in the environmental consequences of Australia's exports, Australia is far from green.
Indeed. I think they need a much larger research effort into solar and solar derivatives. They are likely to lose most of their agriculture in the southern part. They need a replacement.
http://www.angelfire.com/mac/egmatthews ... ahara.html
  by David Benton

i wouldnt mind betting the asian countries eat more kangaroo meat than the australians do .
and if you think that solar is a dead end , your riding the worng horse , cowboy .