Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by andy

A few years back, I know Metro-North operated a toll-free number that customers could report hot rail cars to (not customer service. I believe it was routed directly to Operations).

Does anyone have this number?

by MN Jim

1-800-RAIL-HOT.

Jim

by mncommuter

Yeah, I called that number once after it was published in the "Mileposts" commuter newsletter, and the lady who answered the phone sounded like she was surprised to hear from a commuter! She was like "what department do you work for??"

by andy

Yeah; that's what I got the first time I used it about a year or so ago.

by MN Jim

That problem should be addressed soon, if it hasn't been done already....a plan is in the making.

Jim

by DutchRailnut

The same lady responds the same to any crew member reporting defects..
surpized cause everything is sunny and 70 at equipment desk.

by MN Jim

Actually, it's ironic, because that's the Fleet Management office that answers that line, and they sit in an office that has one of the poorest HVAC systems I've ever seen. They sweat every day in that office during the summer.

Jim

by DutchRailnut

In the field the office is"Fleet Mis-Management", any defects magicly fix themselfs in next hour and never make the report.

by Nester

DutchRailnut wrote:The same lady responds the same to any crew member reporting defects..
surpized cause everything is sunny and 70 at equipment desk.
Did you hear a thud? That was me falling out of my chair in laughter :)

I was under the impression that the dial-a-dope program was discontinued some time ago. I'll have to remember to pass the number around next time I am in a hot car.

Nester

by boston774

Good to know about the number - that's new to me. My understanding was that a passanger should record the car number and -politely- bring it to the attention of the conductor.

Of course, hot cars must drive the crews just as bananas, I can't even imagine what one of the broom closets on an M2 is like with no air!

by andy

You can always call the Customer Service line. However, they have weird hours (8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. if I remember correctly).

The fleet management office, from my experience, is open in the evenings, so one can call them on the train and report the problem.

Not sure if this is the case, however.