• How to adapt the 74v outlet!

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by freshmeat

One more thing. I've seen guys with false bottoms in their grips. They have the power supply mounted in the bottom of their grip and have holes in the side fo the grip to plug things into.

Great, ain't it?

by UPRR engineer

Well i just bought a Locoverter online today, winters coming up, means ill be sitting more then usual, couple of guys around here have one already, havent heard anything bad about them.

by UPRR engineer

Locoverter is pretty slow on getting back to you after placing an order, they havent charged my card yet so i guess i cant complain too much.

by SteelWheels21

He's probably trying to get away from his wife and kids so he can get down to the basement and build your unit. :-D

by UPRR engineer

Maybe...Bout ready to pull a slchub or GA and just plug the damn thing without it.

by GOLDEN-ARM

I'm tellin' ya, UPRR, go to Radio Shack, and by a plug in 12V converter. It plugs in to the bottom of the stand, on the Trash-9's, or the fridge plug, if all else fails. The guys here use them, all day long, with Sirius, laptops, cell phones, and some little iPod kind of things......... :-D

by UPRR engineer

Well they shipped it off today...YES!!!

Went into Radio Shack awhile back, two gomers working there didnt have any idea what i was wanting.

by GOLDEN-ARM

SHAZAM!!!!

by freshmeat

They probably got an email the day you were there stating they had just been laid off, like hundreds of other Radio Shack employees!

by slchub

UPRR, the Gomers in Rock Springs or Evanston? LOL!

Freshmeat, harsh man, just harsh. At least I'm laughing.

by UPRR engineer

In RS there slchub. :-D

There aint a 74V plug on those SD70's is there? Could have swore i saw some in the electrical cabinet in the past. Guess im gonna need to buy that reading light adapter sometime soon.

by GOLDEN-ARM

Look under the conductors desk, UPRR. Seen some under there before...... :wink: Another place, behind the fridge, and lastly, on the front of the console, at the bottom of the steps, before you go into the nose. Depends on the road number........ :wink:

by UPRR engineer

Hey thanks buddy, never did look over there on the corn side.

Another question, whats the purpose of the 74V plug on units? As i was doing an impersonation of a crack head (searching high and low) after breaking out my locoverter and being told to "take a break" from the train dispatcher, buddy asked me that question.
Last edited by UPRR engineer on Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by slchub

I've seen the outlet on the units in various places just as GA said. I've seen them on the older unit in panel behind the door where the circuit breakers and knife switch is on the old sd40's, on the conductors side underneath (however, some of the outlet types have the weird outlet for the refrigerator with the prongs pointed sideways), behind the helpers seat on the back wall, on the GE's on the front panel on your side near where the a/c switch is and gen field/fuel switches are and down in the nose. I have no clue as to why they are on-board.

by ExEMDLOCOTester

Some of the export units had factory (EMD) installed hot plates in in the short hood that operated on Aux gen power. I don't know how true this is but I was told the outlet was for a drop light utilized by maintenance. On the prints its labeled as 74 volt outlet. When we tested the pre -2 units we needed an MG set to set up the relays & resistors and it pluged into the 74 V outlet. I never seen a choo choo without the outlet.

One of the commercial test checks was to test the voltage and polarity of the outlet. So it must be important! :wink: