• How many Superliners are at Beech Grove?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by AmtrakFan

By chance would anyone know how many Superliners are at Beech Grove? As well as the numbers of the cars. Also where are Viewliners 62011 and 62013?

AmtrakFan

by RMadisonWI

In early November, the number of "active" Viewliners increased from 48 to 49, so that would imply that one of the long-idle wreck-damaged fleet has been returned to service. However, I don't know specifically which one, or where it is.

With any luck, I'll wind up on it when I ride the Crescent in January, though I'm not betting on any specific car at this point.

by AmtrakFan

RMadisonWI wrote:In early November, the number of "active" Viewliners increased from 48 to 49, so that would imply that one of the long-idle wreck-damaged fleet has been returned to service. However, I don't know specifically which one, or where it is.

With any luck, I'll wind up on it when I ride the Crescent in January, though I'm not betting on any specific car at this point.
That's great news!!!!!!!!! Is that enough make a Daily Cardinal

by RMadisonWI

The Cardinal isn't going daily any time soon.

by John_Perkowski

As always, thank you Mr Ainsworth.

John Perkowski
  by jp1822

Ah the Viewliner conundrum! So they still can't squeeze out two Viewliners for the Federal or three Viewliners for the Three Rivers, despite the Viewliner cutbacks on the Lake Shore Limited. Plus we still got trains leaving Sunnyside late due to equipment related issues. I suspect the Viewliner "spare" pool has increased to offset the Viewliners that are expected to freeze up this winter, which is totally avoidable if they were maintained properly, particularly while laying over in Chicago, Sunnyside, Miami etc. Argh!

by RMadisonWI

While 49 cars are "active," not all 49 are available for service. Minor maintenance, inspections, bad-orders, etc., reduce fleet availability to barely above the minimum requirements for current service levels. Once in a while, the number available is actually below the requirements, meaning either a carline gets blanked, or a train waits for one off an inbound train (causing delays) before it heads out.

Adding an extra car or three to the "required" column would be a bad idea at this point.

by Gilbert B Norman

The two Viewliners noted by Mr. Poshepny and Mr. Madison's report that one has been returned to service were lost at the May 2003 Hynesville incident.

I must wonder "what took so long'?

There is always the possibility theat since there was an employee fatality (the Locomotive Engineer who died has been added to the "Honor Roll' at Wash Union Station), the cars were impounded as physical evidence. Otherwise, I would have thought they would be on the top of the list for wreck repair.

Oh well, one is better than none.

by RMadisonWI

Also note that a lot of Viewliner parts can't be found "off the shelf," either. It's possible that the two that had been out of service were used as a supply of parts for the rest of the fleet until they were able to get around to fixing them up and rebuilding them with special-order parts.

by AmtrakFan

RMadisonWI wrote:Also note that a lot of Viewliner parts can't be found "off the shelf," either. It's possible that the two that had been out of service were used as a supply of parts for the rest of the fleet until they were able to get around to fixing them up and rebuilding them with special-order parts.
That's possible also I like Mr. Madisons suggestion of adding 1 or 2 above the miniume also if the 3 Rivers still had it's Heritage Sleeper and no Viewliner where after the Sleeper was dumped where would it go? The Cardinal?

by AmtrakFan

I think it is 62011.

AmtrakFan