• How many GP9s left?

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by truman

Was kind of surprised to see GP-9 #72 in the consist of an eastbound yesterday .10/19.
How many are left?
  by thebigham

From Bill Gingrich's GRS roster:

ST 12 GP7
ST 15 GP7
ST 45 GP9r
ST 51 GP9r
ST 52 GP9r
ST 54 GP9
ST 62 GP9
ST 71 GP9
ST 72 GP9
ST 77 GP9r
  by Otto Vondrak

They are known to turn up at Rotterdam Junction, and also as switchers at East Deerfield. As intended, they are also known to hold down branchline assignments, and yes, get thrown into road trains, too.
  by truman

I remember a time when all you saw were GP-9's on through freights. If you saw a 7 or an 18, You had something to talk about for a week.

Does Mr. Gingrich's roster list the original road numbers? the 7's were originally high 1500 class and the 9's were 1700's. I'm trying to find out if 1704 is still alive, it held down the Boston- Dover local for years, usually with 1714.
  by guilfordrailfan

truman wrote:I remember a time when all you saw were GP-9's on through freights. If you saw a 7 or an 18, You had something to talk about for a week.

Does Mr. Gingrich's roster list the original road numbers? the 7's were originally high 1500 class and the 9's were 1700's. I'm trying to find out if 1704 is still alive, it held down the Boston- Dover local for years, usually with 1714.
If you are a member of [email protected], I have a complete detailed historical roster of Guilford locomotives in the files section of that site. If you are not a member and would like a copy of the roster (in pdf format) send me a private email and I'll email it to you. I also post monthly roster summaries in the files section of GuilfordRailSightings.
  by thebigham

^Thanks, Bill, for updating the roster each month!!
  by guilfordrailfan

truman wrote:I remember a time when all you saw were GP-9's on through freights. If you saw a 7 or an 18, You had something to talk about for a week.

Unfortunately 1704 is long gone. It was rebuilt and renumbered BM 1804 in the early 1980's. Guilford renumbered it ST 46 in 1987. It was retired in 7/90 and scrapped in mid 1995.
  by calaisbranch

I know the locals to Madison, MD-1, and Hinkley/Skowhegan, SAPPI, always have the '9s and even an occasional GP7. Last time out to Waterville, there was quite an assortment including the 15 and 12. Total flashback watching those things still going!
  by Ken Rice

Periodically ST 52 shows up at the flour mill in Ayer:
http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?20061 ... RING=nemco
http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?20061 ... RING=nemco

The usual switcher for the mill is NEMCO 1000, an NW2:
http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?20080 ... RING=nemco

Does anyone know exactly why ST 52 shows up at the mill? I've wondered if it's to sub for the NEMCO 1000 when it has problems, or some other reason. Either way it occupies one of the two tracks through the mill's (un)loading bay, so it seems like it would be in the way quite a bit.

Ken.
  by mick

You are exactly right, the Nemco switcher needed repairs, so they got ST 72 for a while, it's as simple as that. Just an example of Pan Am Railways commitment to customer service.
  by Steve Wagner

I saw ST 72 at Horizon Milling (formerly NEMCO) the last time I was in Ayer, on Saturday, October 4.
  by truman

guilfordrailfan wrote:
Unfortunately 1704 is long gone. It was rebuilt and renumbered BM 1804 in the early 1980's. Guilford renumbered it ST 46 in 1987. It was retired in 7/90 and scrapped in mid 1995.

Thank you for the equipment updates. Even though I got bored with the GP-9's, I miss them now.
I'll give the GRS @Yahoo thing a try.
  by newpylong

I had the pleasure of being assigned the 54 for a few months straight in a row on a local assign. That unit would pull.