• How many female engineers on SEPTA?

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by whovian

Not including management, SEPTA has five (5) certified female locomotive engineers out of approxiametly 185 persons. That figure may go up one or two notches soon if all goes well for the current trainees.

by Njt4300

Wow... Only 5? I* never thought of Septa Enginners's as " Locomotive Engineer's" But more like bus on track operators!! Since they are not exacly operating a locomotive ex: aem7/ geep. You can argue that silver liners are locomotives... but cmon.

by jonnhrr

Although I am not an Engineer myself, I would say operating an Electric MU train is more like operating a locomotive than you think. Go back and read some of the posts by actual Septa engineers and what they have to deal with, such as the issues with the new Cab Signals, dealing with slippery rail, etc. Do a Google search and get a copy of the NORAC operating rules (which are on the web somewhere) and see what they have to know cold before they are qualified to run a train.

by BuddSilverliner269

Hey NJT are you a railroad engineer? If not then how about you keep your mouth shut ok? You might have hard feelings about Septa? Hey we all do. They make all of the worst decisions and yes they do run the railroad division as a bus stepchild but WE are railroad engineers. yes we run mostly Silverliner MUs but we do have push pull and very few diesels and I tell anyone we contribute to railroad retirement and get 30 days for a signal violation or any other rule that may be broken like anyone else. And one other thing, yes we mostly run MU cars but the kind of junk we run day in and day out with the little TLC that might actually go on there and the stuff is tired and I will put myself or most Septa engineers up to any NJT engineer any day. If you can run our junk and get it to work right and still provide a smooth ride then damn the engineer is doing his job. How about keeping your opinions to yourself. Im not known to flame on, I get along with everyone here but Im so tired of the bashing. God get over it. Septa is horrible. yes we have known that since 1968 or 69.

by whovian

Njt4300 wrote:Wow... Only 5? I* never thought of Septa Enginners's as " Locomotive Engineer's" But more like bus on track operators!! Since they are not exacly operating a locomotive ex: aem7/ geep. You can argue that silver liners are locomotives... but cmon.
I'm not as upset about your opinion as my coworker. I could see why someone would look at a SEPTA EMU as a trumped up trolley car, even SEPTA views them that way. You should be aware that most SEPTA engineers are also qualified to operate the AEM-7 and ALP-44 locomotive, and a host of diesel engines as well as Silverliners. Silverliners are locomotives, there is no question about that. If you don't believe that, go out and try to operate one without a locomotive engineer's certificate and see what happens.

by TR-00

SEPTA men and women are certainly as much engineers as we are or as are the Amtrak people. They run over the same corridor as we do, and they do it with professionalism and safety.

Whenever a SEPTA approaches from the other direction, I'm proud to dim my headlight and pass a wave to a brother or sister.

by Njt4300

I shouldn't have said that!!!! I forgot about NJT's Arrows for a second! Yeah looking at your point Mr. Daniels.... Septa train operaters are still part off the BLE!

by Otto Vondrak

"How many Female Engineers does septa have?"

Don't be hard on him, I think Njt4300 is just looking for a girlfriend.

-otto-