• HO6 on the Corning Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by poppyl

Unless my ears are deceiving me (entirely possible), I believe that HO6 has been running every night (except Saturday) for the past week or two. That's a really big jump in interchange traffic even if it's only a temporary situation. Can anyone shed light on what's behind the increased activity?

Interestingly enough, the crew outlawed southbound just north of Dundee Friday night. As a result, several folks were a little surprised to see a train go through town just a little before 11 AM on Saturday.

Poppyl
  by Matt Langworthy

#@%$#@! I was in the area on Saturday and missed it! :(

Are the train lengths the same? I'm thinking that maybe the increased frequency keeps the train to reasonable size so the locomotives can manage the 1% grades. Just a guess, though.
  by K4Pacific

The length of HO6 hasn't changed dramatically. Engineer Price runs it daily except Saturday usually with two of the venerable SD40-2/3s. Standard SOP now. I've seen it with only 6 cars too. Just enjoy it and don't chain yourself to anything near the tracks in protest.
  by Matt Langworthy

Aw heck, K4... I want to chain myself to the Corning Secondary until they start running H06 regularly on Saturday afternoons. lol

On a serious note, it was nice to see SD40-2s handling H06 back in June. Widecabs look like overkill for a local, IMO.
  by poppyl

Well, it's good to know my ears are working properly.

In line with K4's comment on train length, the Saturday run had ten cars along with the two SD's. Matt, the train was pretty well "hidden" just north of town. A friend called to ask why it was just sitting there or else I would not have known either. As it was I just made it into town as it was crossing Seneca Street.

I'm not a proponent of wasting power and two SD's are probably adequate most of the time but on some nights they sound like they are working really hard to make it up the grade from Randall's Crossing to the Shannon's Corner Road crossing on the southbound return trip. So far they have always made it.

Poppyl
  by CPSD40-2

A friend that lives on Route 14 south of Geneva said it looked like light power heading south one night last week. If they're back to running SD's again, I'll have to get downtown to see one sometime. Indeed, a pair of widecabs did seem sort of like overkill with 5 to 10 cars at times.