• HO Spectrum F40 vs. Walthers Trainline F40

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by astrosa

First of all, the F40PH-2 is really just the same thing as the F40PH. EMD simply decided to make it part of the Dash-2 line, although that designation might be related to the "Phase 3" version that has Q-fans. So in fact the MBTA's F40PH-2s (1000-1017) do not have dynamic brakes.

The F40PHM-2Cs and F40PH-2Cs do have dynamic brakes, but they're also 8 feet longer than the standard F40PH. It's really a moot point in the Bachmann vs. Walthers argument anyway because if you were going to kitbash one, Walthers makes both dynamic and non-dynamic versions. You wouldn't want to use the Bachmann shell for a kitbash because the result would be a pretty ugly (and inaccurate) model!

by XRails

You may want to just hold off and wait for the Kato F40's that are due out in may. MSRP is $125, but you can bet they'll be worth it!
Here's a list of features off their website:
-Shock Absorber Construction provides stable running performance.
-Illuminated pre-printed number boards.
-Factory-installed KATO Magnetic Knuckle Couplers.
-Golden white LED headlights.
-Lighted red marker lights on nose of RTA units illuminate when pushing a train. (off when pulling a train)
-Factory-installed 8-pin DCC socket.
-Sound friendly.
-All-wheel electrical pick-up (40” scale wheels).
-Hobbyist add-on details such as handrails, MU hoses, number boards and clear amber beacon enhance the realistic appearance of the model to the prototype.
-Detail specific to each railroad, including fan height, headlight arrangement, pilot design, rear platform, and cab roof arrangement.
http://www.katousa.com/

I have a feeling it will put the Bachmann v Walthers argument to rest.

by astrosa

...except that as yet, the Kato unit has only been announced in the "Phase 3" version for Amtrak units (i.e. #329-400). I do plan on eventually getting one and numbering it in the high 300s, but for modeling other units it would be better to start with the Walthers model (which represents #300-328 and can be easily modified for #230-299 and #200-229) and just add some superdetails for enhanced realism. The mechanism is fine and it's not at all hard to convert to DCC and add LED headlights.

Basically my feeling is that you can't really put the Kato unit in the same category as the others, partly because of detail differences and partly because of price - the Walthers model seldom costs more than $45. However, I do think the release of the Kato model will finally make people realize how bad the Bachmann versions are and have always been, so I agree that one side of the issue will be settled.

One thing that I do look forward to in Kato's model is that they sell spare parts separately, whereas Walthers is reluctant to do so. I really like the idea of finally being able to order F40PH-specific parts for kitbashing. I'm already getting ideas...
  by SD45Jim

I bought a Bachmann GP-35 and a Walthers F40 5-6 years ago at about the same time from a store going out of business. The GP-35 was horrible! It had no pulling power and ran very loudly. It seemed like the gears did not mesh well. It did not take me long to pull the motor and gears out. For the last 5 years it has made a wonderfully detailed dummy!

The F40 continues to operate at high speeds on my layout. I painted a LifeLike dummy to match it, and it pulls the dummy, a baggage car, and three passenger cars around my layout at scale speeds of 70 mph! Yesterday I ran it for an hour at 65 mph and it never blinked. The only problem that I have had is that you have to keep the wheels and track pretty clean. My Athearns and Katos run great on not-so-clean track, but the Walthers has a LOT of trouble. But a little rubbing alcohol on the wheels and track, and it runs like a charm. For high speed passenger service, it is a great locomotive.

Jim Sherwin

by ST214

If you are looking for a MBTA F40PH-2C here it is!!!!!!

http://www.asmodels.com/

by astrosa

I'm still a little skeptical of Absolute Scale Models. I've seen preproduction photos of their hyped-up California Cars, and they were poorly-cast resin pieces with bad paint jobs. For now I'll give them the benefit of the doubt since those were only preproduction models, but I'm not holding out for their F40PH-2C. They've made some pretty impressive announcements, both on their website and in MR, yet still have nothing to show for it besides a tiny photo of the master shell on their website.

If they manage to produce from that master a good-quality resin casting of the F40PH-2C shell, and if its detail is comparable to that on the Walthers F40PH, and if their paint jobs are at least decent - you can bet they'll have my respect for sure. Until then, though, I wouldn't get too excited if I were you...