• HO MLW/C636's

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by ANDY117

What is the best model of a MLW 636/ C636 in HO scale? I have an IHC model, and am thinking about demotoring it. Iwant to model some of the NYSW ones. like 41, 47, 78, 77, etc.

by conrail71

Hey,
I think there was a similar topic a few month's back... The IHC Alco is O.K. but the pilot should be filled in. In order to accomplish this the coupler box will have to be mounted to the body. You could use styrene strip or a pilot off of another diesel shell. This will definatley improve the look of the IHC model. Tiger Valley Models also makes the 6 axle Alco's, they are mostly cast metal and are very good pullers. Of course there is also the Stewart offering but other than that, thats about it.
Mike

by ANDY117

Im debating whether or not to get the signature snowplows, but the Front truck snapped, and Testors didn't work very well, so im thinking of regluing it, and then mounting some new couplers. (McHenry scale size, of course!)

by bentnosewillie

The IHC model is a C628, and differs in many ways from the MLW C630M, M630 and M636, not least in the trucks. With Stewart's C630 available now there isn't much to recommend the IHC model, since converting it to anything like you're describing will begin with replacing the long hood and cab, then modifying the short hood.

In plastic, your best bet for a C630M or M630 is to start with the Stewart C630 and shorten the trucks to accept sideframes by Tiger Valley or Miniatures by Eric. There are full Dofasco trucks to fit the Stewart drive coming, but I don't know when.

If you don't mind a bit more work OR want a C636 or M636, Tiger Valley makes these units in metal. The Canadian versions include the correct trucks.

by CIOR

I wouldn't touch the IHC model. Stewarts model of the C630 would be a good starting point.
They are good runners too!

by ANDY117

78 was one of the original demonstrators for the C636 or M636. But we've had this particular model laying around for years now, waiting to be helped.

by Otto Vondrak

Andy, if you just want a representation of the ex-Cartier MLW's to run on your layout, then just go ahead and paint up the six-axle IHC model you have.

-otto-

by ANDY117

Yea, i think im goin that route, future suggestions would be if Atlas made an HO M636.